none
Remote session was disconnected because there are no remote desktop license servers available to provide a license

Question

• I am using a VPS account (from a service provider) on a Window 2008 32 bit Standard Edition server.

All of a sudden, I was not able to access my account.

Using RDC with my IP address, administrator ID and password, I reached the server as I see the warning sign, titled (The identity of the remote computer cannot be verified. Do you want to connect anyway.). I clicked Yes. Then, I see the warning sign:  "the remote session was disconnected because there are no remote desktop license servers available to provide a license".

I have not installed any additional licenses, as the account comes with two licenses.

I talked to the Service Provider and the answer was, they can not get into my account to find out why.

Something has happened as I had no problem getting into the account before, and then this happened. I am wondering whether this is related to the License Server they installed and the licenses have expired. If so, how can I get into the account to do any thing or make changes.

I was told to wipe out the site and reinstall the OS. This means I will lose everything. It appears there must be a way to get to the Server Manager to make changes.

I am not knowledgeable in Server Technology, so some hand holding will be appreciated when you make suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

David_castle.

Saturday, October 26, 2013 5:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

mstsc /admin is the command you should type into the run box.  You should use your credentials as you have done in the past.

Since you plan on having regular users connect and run applications, then you need to Install the TS Licensing Role Service, Activate the server using TS Licensing Manager, and install your purchased TS CALs (also using TS Licensing Manager).  In Terminal Services Configuration (tsconfig.msc), you need to set the Licensing mode to match the type of TS CALs you own and Specify the name of your licensing server (in your case the name is the same as your server name).

-TP

• Marked as answer by david_castle Sunday, October 27, 2013 5:34 PM
    Sunday, October 27, 2013 4:20 PM
  • Thanks very much. I have been able to get into my account with mstsc /admin in the command prompt and then using my regular credentials. My account usually comes with two TS Cals without having to purchase a TS Licensing manager. I will now try to see how I can activate the existing TS Manager, and let you know.

Thanks again.

David_Castle

• Marked as answer by david_castle Monday, October 28, 2013 8:54 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by david_castle Monday, October 28, 2013 8:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by david_castle Monday, October 28, 2013 8:55 PM
    Sunday, October 27, 2013 5:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

1. Are you able to make an administrative connection to your server, using /admin switch?  Example:

mstsc /admin

2. Do you plan on having regular users log on to this server using Remote Desktop and run applications, or do you only need to connect to it for administrative purposes?

-TP

Sunday, October 27, 2013 2:35 PM
  • 1. Are you able to make an administrative connection to your server, using /admin switch?  Example:

mstsc /admin

I tried to use mtsc /admin, but I am not sure whether I am doing it right. Do I use mstsc /admin as the User Name and use my regular administrator password? If this is what I should do, I tried it and could not sign in. It says I do not have the correct credentials.

What I used to sign in as administrator, I used the User Name  Adm-2 and its password. So I also tired signing in using the User Name,  mstsc /Adm-2 and the same password, I could not sign in.

2. Do you plan on having regular users log on to this server using Remote Desktop and run applications, or do you only need to connect to it for administrative purposes?

I plan on have users using Remote Desktop Connection and run applications.

Thanks.

Davic_Castle

Sunday, October 27, 2013 4:11 PM
  • Hi,

mstsc /admin is the command you should type into the run box.  You should use your credentials as you have done in the past.

Since you plan on having regular users connect and run applications, then you need to Install the TS Licensing Role Service, Activate the server using TS Licensing Manager, and install your purchased TS CALs (also using TS Licensing Manager).  In Terminal Services Configuration (tsconfig.msc), you need to set the Licensing mode to match the type of TS CALs you own and Specify the name of your licensing server (in your case the name is the same as your server name).

-TP

• Marked as answer by david_castle Sunday, October 27, 2013 5:34 PM
    Sunday, October 27, 2013 4:20 PM
  • Thanks very much. I have been able to get into my account with mstsc /admin in the command prompt and then using my regular credentials. My account usually comes with two TS Cals without having to purchase a TS Licensing manager. I will now try to see how I can activate the existing TS Manager, and let you know.

Thanks again.

David_Castle

• Marked as answer by david_castle Monday, October 28, 2013 8:54 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by david_castle Monday, October 28, 2013 8:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by david_castle Monday, October 28, 2013 8:55 PM
    Sunday, October 27, 2013 5:34 PM
  • I have server 2012 standard running on a single computer for our small (50 employee company).  It's primary role is to house one software application that manages our data.  Our employees need to remotely access this server to use this software program.  For the last 4 months we have successfully done that using Remote Desktop.

Unfortunately our RDS trial period ran out on our Server, and so I have recently installed 21 RDS User CALS on to the server to still be able to access this server remotely.  When I installed them, using the Install Wizard, I selected User CALs as that is what they are.  However, when I try to use remote desktop and access the server, I get the message: "remote session was disconnected because there are no remote desktop license servers available to provide a license"

Do I have to install the RDS User CALs as Device CALs instead even though they are USER CALs?? Did I forget to check a box or something?  Please help!  We are a Non-Profit and really can't afford Microsoft's $260 support fee when I have a feeling this has got to be an easy solution.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 3:08 PM