none
DPM 2010 Tape Block Size Erase Issue StandAlone Drive

Question

• Hi

Upgraded backup server at customer site from an NTBackup based product on Windows 2003 to DPM 2010 on W2k8 R2.

Getting the Block Size error when attempting to erase or inventory tapes previously used with a previous software based around NTBackup on Windows 2003. It used a Block Size of 1024 bytes so DPM apparently can't do anything with the tapes (*please* considering adding an 'erase foreign tape' feature?).

Get a copy of mytape and run it against the 'Windows name for the drive' which is \\.\Tape2147483646, mytape reports Error_Id Reported=5.  I presume this is access denied.  DPMLA is stopped.  Tried it with services all stopped.  Same. Tried it with all svs started, error_id is 2.  Tried it with library enabled.  Disabled.  Uninstalled / reinstalled.  No joy.

Tried installling a third party product with long term protection to tape disabled and the library disabled in DPM, can't see library.

Could you please advise how I can use Mytape or any other utility at all to erase the tapes previously used with a standalone tape drive?

I tried the blog article with DPMEraseTape.ps1 script but this also fails - I think it's only for libraries anyway, please correct me if that is wrong.  This is a standalone Dell LTO4 drive.

Regards

ZZZ

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 3:27 PM

Answers

• Hi

Glad to know that you were able to erase the tape.  Both DPM and Ntbackup write to the tape using Microsoft tape Format (MTF) - and the block size used should not effect capacity. I'm not sure how to explain the differences in capacity given the same data source. 

You can experiment using mytape utility to fill a tape using different block sizes, both should report similar capacity results. be sure to turn OFF hardware compression so we get raw bytes written at the end. 

Mytape.exe \\.\Tape2147483638

Status: Getting the handle for \\.\Tape2147483638...Success

\\.\Tape2147483638>TapeConsole_1.0>loadtape

\\.\Tape2147483638>TapeConsole_1.0>taperewind

\\.\Tape2147483638>TapeConsole_1.0>locktape

\\.\Tape2147483638>TapeConsole_1.0>setdriveinfo

Hardware error correction  [y]-Enable / [n] Disable : y
    Hardware data compression  [y]-Enable / [n] Disable : N   (BE SURE TO DISABLE)
    Data padding  [y]-Enable / [n] Disable : n
    Setmark reporting   [y]-Enable / [n] Disable : n
    Number of bytes between the end-of-tape warning and the physical end of the tape: 0

\\.\Tape2147483638>TapeConsole_1.0>settapeinfo 65536

Enter BlockSize: Status: Setting Tape Information...Success

\\.\Tape2147483638>TapeConsole_1.0>writeforspanning

Error_ID reported: 1100                 (net helpmsg 1100 = The physical end of the tape has been reached.
    Number of bytes written: 983040     (Ignore bytes written, we'll get physical tape position later)
    Giving up
    Time taken: 15788ms

\\.\Tape2147483638>TapeConsole_1.0>gettapeposition

------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Tape Position
    Absolute Position:
    Current tape partition: 0
    Current tape position: 0,32015  <<Note these numbers, they represent blocks written, so multiply by the block size used in the settapeinfo command above.)
    Current tape position: 0,32015

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Zeezeezee Monday, September 13, 2010 9:13 AM
    Thursday, September 09, 2010 3:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

<snip>
    Get a copy of mytape and run it against the 'Windows name for the drive' which is \\.\Tape2147483646, mytape reports Error_Id Reported=5. 
    >snip<

This is not normal, there must be some other process that still has a handle open to the device. If you installed a 3rd party backup application, it may have installed it's own drivers that may prevent mytape from working.  Please investigate that possibility.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, September 08, 2010 4:45 PM
  • Hi Mike

Yes you were correct.  Thanks for your quick response.  I noted in the server vendor utility the firmware for the SAS interface card used to connect the tape drive was out of date.  I updated this, rebooted and was able to execute the mytape command. Thanks.

Potentially stupid question: Does the increased block size reduce the capacity of the tape if the customer's workload is comprised of many small files or can DPM fill the blocks?  On the backups which have run to blank new tapes DPM asks for another LT04 tape after around 790Gb.  Using the NTBackup based product to backup the DPM replicas previously the backup was running at 1.1Tb with no capacity issues reported.

Compression is enabled in DPM.  This is a single protection group.  The protected resources in both instances are the same.  The block size of the tapes in question (previously used by NTBackup) was 1K.  For anyone reading (i.e. I realise you know!) DPM is using 64k.

Thank you

Zee

Thursday, September 09, 2010 9:54 AM
  • Hi

Glad to know that you were able to erase the tape.  Both DPM and Ntbackup write to the tape using Microsoft tape Format (MTF) - and the block size used should not effect capacity. I'm not sure how to explain the differences in capacity given the same data source. 

You can experiment using mytape utility to fill a tape using different block sizes, both should report similar capacity results. be sure to turn OFF hardware compression so we get raw bytes written at the end. 

Mytape.exe \\.\Tape2147483638

Status: Getting the handle for \\.\Tape2147483638...Success

\\.\Tape2147483638>TapeConsole_1.0>loadtape

\\.\Tape2147483638>TapeConsole_1.0>locktape

\\.\Tape2147483638>TapeConsole_1.0>setdriveinfo

Hardware error correction  [y]-Enable / [n] Disable : y
    Hardware data compression  [y]-Enable / [n] Disable : N   (BE SURE TO DISABLE)
    Data padding  [y]-Enable / [n] Disable : n
    Setmark reporting   [y]-Enable / [n] Disable : n
    Number of bytes between the end-of-tape warning and the physical end of the tape: 0

\\.\Tape2147483638>TapeConsole_1.0>settapeinfo 65536

Enter BlockSize: Status: Setting Tape Information...Success

\\.\Tape2147483638>TapeConsole_1.0>writeforspanning

Error_ID reported: 1100                 (net helpmsg 1100 = The physical end of the tape has been reached.
    Number of bytes written: 983040     (Ignore bytes written, we'll get physical tape position later)
    Giving up
    Time taken: 15788ms

\\.\Tape2147483638>TapeConsole_1.0>gettapeposition

Tape Position
    Absolute Position:
    Current tape position: 0,32015  <<Note these numbers, they represent blocks written, so multiply by the block size used in the settapeinfo command above.)
    Current tape position: 0,32015

• Marked as answer by Zeezeezee Monday, September 13, 2010 9:13 AM
    Thursday, September 09, 2010 3:25 PM
  • Hello, did you find a solution? I have exact the same problem. LTO5 Tape Device, but only 1,43TB are written. Compression ist set on in every PG. THX
    Tuesday, December 06, 2011 1:16 PM