none
Exchange Active Sync, iPhone and Read Receipt

Question

• Hi All,

We have SBS 2008, few users are using iPhone/Android to get their emails while away from the office. What happens is the phone sends Read Receipts automatically to senders who request read receipts.

How can I disable Exchange 2007 Automatic Read Receipts through Active Sync?

Thanks in Advance for your Time. 

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

At first, I would like to say the read Receipt is not sent out by the device, it is sent out by the Exchange server. This is how it works and what happens:

1.      E-mail with request for send receipt is received on the Exchange server;

2.      E-mail is synchronized with Windows Mobile based device using Exchange ActiveSync;

3.      When e-mail is read on Windows Mobile based device the read status is synchronized back to the Exchange server;

4.      The Exchange server creates and sends out the Read Receipt when receiving the Read status update from the device;

The above is how this is implemented and there is no functionality which allows preventing this from occurring on the Mobile device.

It seems that there is an alternative method to disable RR using transport rules. However, it will at the risk of the filtering out other messages with the same subject.

Towards the third party mobile clients that support RR and DR, you might consider using Flexmail 4.11. It’s impossible to deactivate ActiveSync RRs in Exchange server 2007/2010.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please see the answer of James-Luo on this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrmobility/thread/0885a43f-dd20-4461-a257-a626b2d973dd/ it completely describes how this works and only way to disable this is disabling "allow delivery reports" on remote domains on your exchange server.

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Visit my Blog or follow me on Twitter
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:47 PM
  • Thanks for the Reply Ronny,

I followed the procedure. Did clear "Allow Delivery Reports" That did not work for me. Could not workout how to remove "Disposition-Notification-TO" so if you can please help me with that.

Thanks

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:33 PM
  • Hi,

At first, I would like to say the read Receipt is not sent out by the device, it is sent out by the Exchange server. This is how it works and what happens:

1.      E-mail with request for send receipt is received on the Exchange server;

2.      E-mail is synchronized with Windows Mobile based device using Exchange ActiveSync;

3.      When e-mail is read on Windows Mobile based device the read status is synchronized back to the Exchange server;

4.      The Exchange server creates and sends out the Read Receipt when receiving the Read status update from the device;

The above is how this is implemented and there is no functionality which allows preventing this from occurring on the Mobile device.

It seems that there is an alternative method to disable RR using transport rules. However, it will at the risk of the filtering out other messages with the same subject.

Towards the third party mobile clients that support RR and DR, you might consider using Flexmail 4.11. It’s impossible to deactivate ActiveSync RRs in Exchange server 2007/2010.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:50 AM
  • Hi,

Any Update?

James

James Xiong

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:28 AM
  • Hi James,

Thanks for the details posted above.

This lead me to another workaround for this nasty problem that others might find useful as well.

One way to stop read receipts being triggered through client side configuration on the mobile is to use the option "Don't Mark Read on server".

I have tested this successfully using this option in the TouchDown mail client on Android.

Not sure if the standard or other mail clients do support this option, TouchDown certainly does and it works.

The side effect obviously is, that the read status isn't synced back to Exchange anymore, but that's a compromise I can certainly live with.

Regards

Thursday, April 26, 2012 1:21 PM
  • absolutely agree. I think i can definitely live with it too. gonna go set it up right now.
    Monday, August 19, 2013 7:00 PM