none
sql question

Question

• I am getting ready for a inplace scom 2012 upgrade. As part of my prep i am running some sql queries i got from a tecnet article against the OM database to ensure it is ready for upgrade.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mihai/archive/2012/05/23/know-issues-when-upgrading-from-om-2007-r2-to-om-2012.aspx

One of the querys did retutn some errors which i am supposed to fix. This is the query

Cause 1: OM07 allows display strings targeted to element not existed however OM12 does not so the following import fails.

To check if you would be impacted by this scenario, please execute the following SQL Query on your OM Database:

SELECT M.MPName, M.MPFriendlyName, D.ElementName
    FROM ManagementPack AS M WITH(NOLOCK)
    INNER JOIN DisplayStringView AS D WITH(NOLOCK)
       ON M.ManagementPackId = D.ManagementPackId
    WHERE
       D.MPElementId <> M.ManagementPackId
       AND D.MPElementId NOT IN (
          SELECT MPElementId
          FROM MPElementView
       )
       AND M.MPName NOT IN (
          'System.Health.Internal',
          'System.BaseliningTasks.Library',
          'Microsoft.SystemCenter.ClientMonitoring.Internal'
       )
    ORDER BY M.MPName, D.ElementName

If you get back any results, then for all display strings targeted to D.ElementName in these Management Packs, first check whether element name is correct. If it’s not misspelling issue, remove these display strings and if it is a misspelling issue, then correct it so that it matches the actual element name.

and here are the results

Microsoft.SystemCenter.Notifications.Internal Microsoft System Center Notifications Library DefaultSmtpAction
    Microsoft.SystemCenter.Notifications.Internal Microsoft System Center Notifications Library ProductConnectorSubscription1782f038_d343_4b52_8e4e_95439ee6b7e5
    Microsoft.SystemCenter.Notifications.Internal Microsoft System Center Notifications Library SMTPAction_48cba4f4_12a5_4ab3_8916_7b640460b1a3
    Microsoft.SystemCenter.Notifications.Internal Microsoft System Center Notifications Library SMTPAction_5d4ad7cd_beec_433f_b567_49d4553e2324
    Microsoft.SystemCenter.Notifications.Internal Microsoft System Center Notifications Library SMTPAction_704b0c84_8f16_47c3_8c59_a432fee1a53b
    Microsoft.SystemCenter.Notifications.Internal Microsoft System Center Notifications Library SmtpEndpoint
    Microsoft.SystemCenter.Notifications.Internal Microsoft System Center Notifications Library SmtpEndpoint2fbf71db_0f8c_4ac2_983e_4e427e8bb5d7
    Microsoft.SystemCenter.Notifications.Internal Microsoft System Center Notifications Library SmtpEndpoint4e3f503b_0754_4be8_9e66_6ae4cc2eddb0
    Microsoft.SystemCenter.Notifications.Internal Microsoft System Center Notifications Library SmtpEndpoint8a19be6b_fe34_4730_a30b_ace3dde11381
    Microsoft.SystemCenter.Notifications.Internal Microsoft System Center Notifications Library Subscription1788025d_f8c5_432e_b00a_426def17bc32
    Microsoft.SystemCenter.Notifications.Internal Microsoft System Center Notifications Library Subscription21678afb_266a_469b_83ff_a12c3d2141cb
    Microsoft.SystemCenter.Notifications.Internal Microsoft System Center Notifications Library Subscription21f68764_7cfb_4e4d_b2aa_f5128fbec453

I'm not exactly sure what i should be renaming in this result. I'm not sql expert and i don;t want to make manual changes to my database unless i'm sure in know what I'm doing.

lars

lars

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:25 PM

Answers

• Lars,

first of all, you are right. Making manual changes to the database are unsupported.

From what I understand in the article and what you documented, the resolution for that issue is what you mentioned as well

If you get back any results, then for all display strings targeted to D.ElementName in these Management Packs, first check whether element name is correct. If it’s not misspelling issue, remove these display strings and if it is a misspelling issue, then correct it so that it matches the actual element name.

you need to check if the Microsoft.SystemCenter.Notifications.Internal MP is having the behavior that Mihai is documenting.

The only concern I have is that fixing that issue involves modifying a Management Pack. For now, let's confirm that you are hitting that same issue then we'll take it from there:

please do this:

- export the  "Microsoft.SystemCenter.Notifications.Internal" MP, open that in a text editor, such as notepad++ (www.notepad++.org)

- find the text that you see here (for example DefaultSmtpAction and see if you are getting those values you are seeing

For now, just identify the data I am asking here. In the meantime, I will contact Mihai online and reference him to this article, and see if he can provide additional feedback for you.

Thanks

Jose

Friday, June 28, 2013 10:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Lars,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone more familiar with this topic for a further look at this issue. Sometime delay might be expected from the job transferring. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Thanks,
    Mike Yin

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, June 20, 2013 10:54 AM
  • Lars,

first of all, you are right. Making manual changes to the database are unsupported.

From what I understand in the article and what you documented, the resolution for that issue is what you mentioned as well

you need to check if the Microsoft.SystemCenter.Notifications.Internal MP is having the behavior that Mihai is documenting.

The only concern I have is that fixing that issue involves modifying a Management Pack. For now, let's confirm that you are hitting that same issue then we'll take it from there:

please do this:

- export the  "Microsoft.SystemCenter.Notifications.Internal" MP, open that in a text editor, such as notepad++ (www.notepad++.org)

- find the text that you see here (for example DefaultSmtpAction and see if you are getting those values you are seeing

For now, just identify the data I am asking here. In the meantime, I will contact Mihai online and reference him to this article, and see if he can provide additional feedback for you.

Thanks

Jose

Friday, June 28, 2013 10:09 PM
  • Any updates on this request.  Do we have some solutions.How to fix it?
    Tuesday, August 27, 2013 8:45 AM