none
Word developer forum and the community bridge

Question

• I can no longer access the Word developer forum at MSDN via the community bridge. (However, I can access the Excel developer forum without problems.) Is there a known issue with NNTP access to that particular forum?

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 6:58 PM

Answers

• Can you link to the forum?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

The forum discussed here is found at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/worddev/threads. As mentioned above, the problem seems to have resolved itself. Whether the suggestion made by Erland Sommarskog did the trick or not is unclear (which is why I unproposed his replies as Answers).

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 10:10 PM
  • I can't speak for what happened when I switched to Thunderbird, either. :-)  That's my point: The*symptoms* disappeared, finally, but I can't tell why. Initially, not even downloading the first 100 messages worked in Thunderbird, but, later, the problem sorted itself out, as I wrote.

Of course, if the first 100 messages - which I assume is the 100 most recent posts - included the tainted range it failed. But once there were 100 messages after the tainted range, the problem went away.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Thursday, June 07, 2012 9:28 PM

All replies

• More precisely what happens?

Occasionally, I have problems with accessing the T-SQL forum. I can see my newsreader loading a certain number of articles, and then get stuck there. Eventually, I get an error message. The issue persists if I retry.

My newsreader permits me to change which articles I have read, so I can work around the problem by skipping an interval. Once I'm past that interval, everything works alright again.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 9:53 PM
  • "Erland Sommarskog [MVP]" wrote in message news:0178facf-336c-46be-b1fe-59a114bdd411@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    More precisely what happens?

Occasionally, I have problems with accessing the T-SQL forum. I can see my newsreader loading a certain number of articles, and then get stuck there. Eventually, I get an error message. The issue persists if I retry.

My newsreader permits me to change which articles I have read, so I can work around the problem by skipping an interval. Once I'm past that interval, everything works alright again.

The first thing I noticed was that no new messages were added (to that particular group). I then reset the group/forum in my newsreader and also re-fetched the messages in the bridge. What happens is that the group remains blank (no messages download) and eventually the connection times out. I have tested on my home and work computer, using both Windows Live Mail and Thunderbird. The operation is unsuccessful in both cases. :-(

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 10:23 PM
  • I tried the forum, and the problem is the same as the one I described in the T-SQL forum. I found that the tainted range is 16151 to 16198. So if you set all articles up 16198 as read, you should be able to access the rest. Exactly how you would do that depends on your newsreader.

You can also mark everything as read, and as new posts come rolling in, you should see these.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 9:33 PM
  • Thanks for the tip. Hmm, I tried the Catch Up command (WLM); then resetting the forum/group once more seemed to work. On the other hand, it started to work in Thunderbird as well shortly afterwards, and I didn't find a similar command there, so I still don't know what did the trick. It could have been a temporary glitch (on my system perhaps).

Thursday, May 17, 2012 12:58 AM

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 7:47 PM
    Owner

Thanks!

The forum discussed here is found at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/worddev/threads. As mentioned above, the problem seems to have resolved itself. Whether the suggestion made by Erland Sommarskog did the trick or not is unclear (which is why I unproposed his replies as Answers).

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 10:10 PM
  • The forum discussed here is found at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/worddev/threads. As mentioned above, the problem seems to have resolved itself. Whether the suggestion made by Erland Sommarskog did the trick or not is unclear (which is why I unproposed his replies as Answers).

Good point. But I think you actually have the answer here, since no one has claimed fixing it.

Thanks!

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 12:44 AM
    Owner
  • I've tested it again, and the tainted range is still there. It has not been repaired on the server side.

I can't speak for what happened when Stefan switch to Thunderbird, but presumably you did download all 16800 messages in the forum, but only the most recent 100 or so. And thereby you avoided the tainted range.

As I have said, this happens in the T-SQL forum as well. It is of course irritating when it happens, not the least because I may lose replies to threads I've been active in. I have never reported it, and getting access to the tainted range several days after the fact is not particularly interesting.

What would be interesting is of course to fix the problem that causes a range to be tainted. That may not be simple since it is a transient problem. But at least a start is to investigate why the web service does not want to serve these articles, or if it serves them in a way the NNTP bridge cannot handle. To address the problem you might also have to understand how that condition arose, and that may be more difficult. Unless, of course, you can construe it as a problem in the NNTP bridge and give Jochen the blame. :-9

To investigate the problem you need a newsreader that permits you manipulate which articles have been read and not by article number. XNews, http://xnews.newsguy.com/ is particularly good for the task, since you can edit the numbers from within the reader. (With other readers you may have to stop the reader, open the .newsrc file, edit and start over.)

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 8:08 AM
  • On 2012-06-06 10:08 (GMT+1), Erland Sommarskog [MVP] wrote:

I've tested it again, and the tainted range is still there. It has not been repaired on the server side.

I can't speak for what happened when Stefan switch to Thunderbird, but presumably you did download all 16800 messages in the forum, but only the most recent 100 or so. And thereby you avoided the tainted range.

As I have said, this happens in the T-SQL forum as well. It is of course irritating when it happens, not the least because I may lose replies to threads I've been active in. I have never reported it, and getting access to the tainted range several days after the fact is not particularly interesting.

What would be interesting is of course to fix the problem that causes a range to be tainted. That may not be simple since it is a transient problem. But at least a start is to investigate why the web service does not want to serve these articles, or if it serves them in a way the NNTP bridge cannot handle. To address the problem you might also have to understand how that condition arose, and that may be more difficult. Unless, of course, you can construe it as a problem in the NNTP bridge and give Jochen the blame. :-9

To investigate the problem you need a newsreader that permits you manipulate which articles have been read and not by article number. XNews, http://xnews.newsguy.com/ is particularly good for the task, since you can edit the numbers from within the reader. (With other readers you may have to stop the reader, open the .newsrc file, edit and start over.)

I can't speak for what happened when I switched to Thunderbird, either. :-)  That's my point: The symptoms disappeared, finally, but I can't tell why. Initially, not even downloading the first 100 messages worked in Thunderbird, but, later, the problem sorted itself out, as I wrote.

Thursday, June 07, 2012 6:56 PM
  • I can't speak for what happened when I switched to Thunderbird, either. :-)  That's my point: The*symptoms* disappeared, finally, but I can't tell why. Initially, not even downloading the first 100 messages worked in Thunderbird, but, later, the problem sorted itself out, as I wrote.

Of course, if the first 100 messages - which I assume is the 100 most recent posts - included the tainted range it failed. But once there were 100 messages after the tainted range, the problem went away.

Thursday, June 07, 2012 9:28 PM
  • On 2012-06-07 23:28, Erland Sommarskog [MVP] wrote:

Good point.

Friday, June 08, 2012 12:13 PM