none
MDT 2012 Proper way to Copy a TS

Question

• Hello,

what is the best way to Copy an existing TS ?

I want a copy of existing TS and editing with to edit the original (what will happen if you use the copy-function in MDT 2012).

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 3:30 PM

Answers

• The copy function for task sequences is a total fail in my opinion.

I use the following approach and it has been working fine for me:

Create a new task sequence with the preset you used for the one that you want to copy.
    You have to do this, because it's the only way to give it your desired ID.

You can enter whatever you want for the other settings.
    Afterwards copy over ts.xml and unattended.xml from the old to the new ts (they are in Deploymentshare$\control\[TS-ID] folder.

• Proposed as answer by EdwardMj Tuesday, October 16, 2012 10:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mvd12345 Wednesday, October 17, 2012 2:35 PM
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:34 PM

All replies

• The copy function for task sequences is a total fail in my opinion.

I use the following approach and it has been working fine for me:

Create a new task sequence with the preset you used for the one that you want to copy.
    You have to do this, because it's the only way to give it your desired ID.

You can enter whatever you want for the other settings.
    Afterwards copy over ts.xml and unattended.xml from the old to the new ts (they are in Deploymentshare$\control\[TS-ID] folder.

• Proposed as answer by EdwardMj Tuesday, October 16, 2012 10:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mvd12345 Wednesday, October 17, 2012 2:35 PM
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:34 PM
  • MDT is GUID bases, so to duplicate your TS

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/Windows7/AdminTips/Migration/Howtoduplicateatasksequence.html

To back it up before you mess with it, go to the control folder, find the relevant TS folder and create a simple windows file copy. You can also look at the backup folder under your MDT, it is automated.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:17 PM
  • The preset is not important, Mitch is right there.

But I still don't see the ID usage as a reason for this to fail, it's just a lack of feature in my opinion.

MDT should prompt for a new ID when trying to copy a TS and not show the strange behavior nobody expects, as it currently does.

Same goes for everything other ID/GUID based, it's totally non-intuitive what MDT does in this area. 
    Maybe this will change with a later version, let's see.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 9:36 PM
  • It cannot be done this way. MDT is simply sort of a "flat", XML file based toolkit, and has no sophisticated code behind it to do what you want it to do, it will than become cumbersome useless tool.

Its free, fast, and super efficient, and came a very long way, i really do not mind the minor extra work.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 2:39 AM
  • I think the option of Orioon is the best.

Copying first to a new ID isn`t working.

Are there no other variables in the files when copying unattend.xml and ts.xml to the destination?

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:47 AM
  • You can try in the following way,

Create a new TS (select any template), go to the location of the original task sequence, copy the content (ts.xml, sysprep.inf,unattended.txt (for win xp), unattend.xml (for win 7) and replace the content in the newly created Task sequence.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 11:06 AM
  • I checked and couldn't find any hard-coded references there, so it's kind of safe to overwrite.

This may change with any future update of course, so this might fail in MDT 2012 U2 or however they might call it.

@Amnon:
    I don't agree. The Toolkit itself isn't that script oriented as the deployment is.
    Just have a look at the installation folder, it's kind of obvious.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 12:03 PM