none
Windows 7 Deployment with USB Issues

Question

• Using MDT 2012 to create Media (ISO) to then transfer to bootable USB and deploy image.

USB Drive: Kingston Datatraveller 111 (3.0)

System: HP ProBook 4330s, 4340s

BIOS Booting configured to use Legacy Mode with Security Mode disabled - I believe this is required in order to boot from USB instead of using UEFI.

Deployment of image seems to get through part of Task Sequence, but at some stage (varying) we get a Windows Dialog stating "Media Not Found. Please reinsert the media (CD, DVD, or USB) needed to complete the deployment." at which point the USB drive appears to be totally unrecognised. At this point if I insert into another Windows device, we get a "You need to format the disk in drive E: before you can use it.".

I can place another (different model USB) into stalled deployment and it completes.

Friday, July 19, 2013 9:49 AM

All replies

• Sounds like it might be a defective USB.  I'd try another device and see if that works better.

Also note that if you require it to be bootable with UEFI, then you just need to ensure the USB is formatted FAT32 instead of NTFS.  Easiest way to do this is format the USB as FAT32 with diskpart, make it bootable, then copy the contents of your Media folder to the USB.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Friday, July 19, 2013 9:06 PM
  • Tried same model USB but different (brand new) device and same behaviour. Annoying thing is it is inconsistent as far as frequency of when it occurs.

Don't know too much about UEFI, but thanks for extra info :)

Monday, July 22, 2013 12:36 AM
    • HI,

I was managed to deploy VIA USB  and DVD.

USB

Step1

Formatting with NFTS works fine.

diskpart list disk select disk X (where X is the disk ID) clean
      format fs=ntfs quick
      active
      exit

Step 2.

• Deploy

Monday, July 22, 2013 2:34 AM
  • Yes this is the same procedure I follow, then use 7-zip or similar software to extract ISO to drive.

I only have this issue on this make/model device (i.e. USB works fine on other devices) but not sure where to go with troubleshooting. Chipset Drivers / USB Drivers ... Version or Order of Install?

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 12:29 AM