none
Power Query Installation Issue

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to get Power Query installed on my laptop which runs Windows 8 and MS Office Professional Plus 2013. When trying to install power query it says that I need to have Excel 2013 installed with .Net programmability feature. I already have Excel installed with all the features available including .Net programmabiity. I tried reinstalling the programmability feature also. Can not figure out why this error occurs.Any help please?

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• Solved! I had previous versions of Office (2010) installed on my computer. After uninstalling them Power Query works fine.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 7:04 PM
  • Hi Sean,

I'm glad you managed to get around the problem. Power Query's installer will check the presence of the .NET programmability feature for all supported installations of Excel (2010 and 2013) on your machine. This is to ensure that users don't install Power Query and have it working in only one of the installations. I'll admit that the error message doesn't make this clear. We'll look into improving that experience in our next releases.

Just for peace of mind on my end, it would be great if you could verify that this is indeed what happened in your case. You'd have to reinstall 2010 with .NET programmability and verify that the installer works as expected. If you don't have time for this, no worries!

Enjoy Power Query!

Tristan

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 11:23 PM
  • Hi Tristan,

I am running Windows 8.1 and Office 2013 Pro Plus (O365) on a Surface 2 Pro.  After installing the update for Power Query, I get the following error  upon loading Excel 2013.  The Power Query ribbon is greyed out and cannot be used:

Error Message:

Access to the path 'C:\Users\Ryan\AppData\Local\Temp\PowerQuery\e0c36ead-9dd8-4eec-9d5e-6d295121bb05' is denied.

Stack Trace:

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Users\Ryan\AppData\Local\Temp\PowerQuery\e0c36ead-9dd8-4eec-9d5e-6d295121bb05' is denied.
       at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path, DirectorySecurity dirSecurity)
       at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path, DirectorySecurity directorySecurity)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ApplicationFolders.GetApplicationInstanceFolderPath()
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.PackageStorageHandlers.InitializeLocal()
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.PackageStorageHandlers.EnsureInitialized()
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.PackageStorageHandlers.get_LocalStorageManager()
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.Excel.ApplicationServices.<.ctor>b__0()
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Invocation Stack Trace:

at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.Ux.FloatingDialog.SimpleDialog.ErrorDialog.Show(IWin32Window owner, HostContext hostContext, IPackageManager packageManager, String message, String exceptionStackTrace, PackageReference sourcePackageReference)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.Excel.ApplicationErrorHandler.<>c__DisplayClass1.<HandleError>b__0()
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
       at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)
       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
       at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
       at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
       at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.TranslateAndDispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Wait(TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.Excel.ApplicationErrorHandler.HandleError(String message, String details)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.ExceptionErrorHandler.HandleError(String message, String details)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.ExceptionErrorHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.Excel.ApplicationServices..ctor(IApplication application, IRibbonUI ribbonUI, ExcelServices excelServices, SynchronizationContext synchronizationContext, Dispatcher uiThreadDispatcher)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.Excel.AddIn.Extensibility.IDTExtensibility2.OnConnection(Object application, ext_ConnectMode connectMode, Object addInInst, Array& custom)

Friday, February 14, 2014 6:58 AM
  • Yes, I had same issue installing Power Query and found this thread.  I added the .NET programmability to my Office 2010 install and then the Power Query install was successful.
    Tuesday, February 25, 2014 3:34 AM