none
False-positive with KB2962407 on WSUS server

Question

• Dears,

We deploy patches with a third party application (LANdesk Vulscan). We also use WSUS to audit the deploiement. The issue we are facing with is that WSUS now reports KB2962407 is missing (state = 2) while this update rollup has been correctly deployed on the server.

Many thanks for you support,
    Best regards,
    Nicolas
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 9:50 AM

Answers

• We deploy patches with a third party application (LANdesk Vulscan). We also use WSUS to audit the deploiement. The issue we are facing with is that WSUS now reports KB2962407 is missing (state = 2) while this update rollup has been correctly deployed on the server.

Okay. So I guess the question is which tool you believe to be accurate?

Take note you're posting in the WSUS FORUM, and NOBODY has previously reported ANY issues with the detection logic or installation success of KB2962407 since its original release on June 10th (although there are several notable issues with the update that have been addressed), so personally my first suspicion is that WSUS (which, no doubt,  has the *current* version of the update) is correct.

Here's the fundamental question.. if you don't TRUST your auditing tool, then why the heck are you using it to AUDIT anything??? The auditing tool is telling you that the operational tool failed in some way. The question is not about a false-positive from WSUS; the question is about whether the update is fully installed, or not.

What methodology did you use to determine that the "update rollup has been correctly deployed"??? This is a large rollup of several other updates -- eight that are documented in the KB article -- so unless you've individually verified each file in every one of those updates, my guess is that the update is NOT fully installed (as reported by the WUA on that/those system(s)) and what you see in the WSUS console is correct.

ALSO... there was an UPDATE to this update published to WSUS yesterday (July 22nd), which includes NEW metadata and NEW binaries and requires reinstallation. (The update metadata was also revised on July 16th and July 8th, but those revisions did not require reinstallation.) Have you received the appropriate revisions from LANDESK yet? (Probably not since Microsoft updates from third-party patch providers typically lag the Microsoft release cycle by a couple of days. My guess is that the LANDESK revision will be available tomorrow and at that time your LANDESK console will agree with the WSUS console -- the update is Not Installed.)

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Marked as answer by Nicolas_N Thursday, July 24, 2014 9:40 AM
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 1:30 PM
  • Hi Lawrence,

Thank you for your quick answer.

I do think the problem is relative to the the update you mentioned. To make sure, I have manually updated one server with start /w Pkgmgr /ip /m:.\Windows8-RT-KB2985485-x64.cab (which includes new metadata) and the problem disappeared.

Best Regards,

Nicolas

• Marked as answer by Nicolas_N Thursday, July 24, 2014 9:47 AM
    Thursday, July 24, 2014 9:47 AM

All replies

• We deploy patches with a third party application (LANdesk Vulscan). We also use WSUS to audit the deploiement. The issue we are facing with is that WSUS now reports KB2962407 is missing (state = 2) while this update rollup has been correctly deployed on the server.

Okay. So I guess the question is which tool you believe to be accurate?

Take note you're posting in the WSUS FORUM, and NOBODY has previously reported ANY issues with the detection logic or installation success of KB2962407 since its original release on June 10th (although there are several notable issues with the update that have been addressed), so personally my first suspicion is that WSUS (which, no doubt,  has the *current* version of the update) is correct.

Here's the fundamental question.. if you don't TRUST your auditing tool, then why the heck are you using it to AUDIT anything??? The auditing tool is telling you that the operational tool failed in some way. The question is not about a false-positive from WSUS; the question is about whether the update is fully installed, or not.

What methodology did you use to determine that the "update rollup has been correctly deployed"??? This is a large rollup of several other updates -- eight that are documented in the KB article -- so unless you've individually verified each file in every one of those updates, my guess is that the update is NOT fully installed (as reported by the WUA on that/those system(s)) and what you see in the WSUS console is correct.

ALSO... there was an UPDATE to this update published to WSUS yesterday (July 22nd), which includes NEW metadata and NEW binaries and requires reinstallation. (The update metadata was also revised on July 16th and July 8th, but those revisions did not require reinstallation.) Have you received the appropriate revisions from LANDESK yet? (Probably not since Microsoft updates from third-party patch providers typically lag the Microsoft release cycle by a couple of days. My guess is that the LANDESK revision will be available tomorrow and at that time your LANDESK console will agree with the WSUS console -- the update is Not Installed.)

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Marked as answer by Nicolas_N Thursday, July 24, 2014 9:40 AM
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 1:30 PM
  • Hi Lawrence,

Thank you for your quick answer.

I do think the problem is relative to the the update you mentioned. To make sure, I have manually updated one server with start /w Pkgmgr /ip /m:.\Windows8-RT-KB2985485-x64.cab (which includes new metadata) and the problem disappeared.

Best Regards,

Nicolas

• Marked as answer by Nicolas_N Thursday, July 24, 2014 9:47 AM
    Thursday, July 24, 2014 9:47 AM
  • Solved the problem by extracting the KB2985485-x64.cab file

and run start /w Pkgmgr /ip /m:.\Windows8-RT-KB2985485-x64.cab

Thanks!

Saturday, July 26, 2014 3:49 AM