none
Dynamic color based on stepped line intersection

Question

• I have an SSRS report with a bar chart. I have also overlayed another dataset and set to a stepped line chart. This all works fine. However is there any way to change the color of the bars depending on whether the line is a lower of higher value of the bar it crosses. In theory any bar higher than the stepped line would be red, and if under then blue.

I assume this isn't possible but wanted to put it out there!

Thanks

Thursday, January 16, 2014 11:57 AM

Answers

• Hi CDG100,

If I understand correctly, you should insert a column chart and a stepped line chart in the report, and you want to show the column bar’s color based on the stepped line chart. When the column bar and line of the stepped chart crosses, the column bar higher than the line shows red, lower than the line shows blue.

According to my test, the goal cannot be achieved. In my test, I add a column chart and stepped line chart as shown below, I cannot control the color of the column chart’s bar based on the intersection point.

Therefore, I would suggest you submitting a wish at https://connect.microsoft.com/sql. Connect site is a connection point between you and Microsoft, and ultimately the larger community. Your feedback enables Microsoft to make software and services the best that they can be, and you can learn about and contribute to exciting projects.

Regards,
    Heidi Duan

Heidi Duan
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by _c Friday, January 17, 2014 10:22 AM
    Friday, January 17, 2014 7:55 AM

All replies

• Hi CDG100,

If I understand correctly, you should insert a column chart and a stepped line chart in the report, and you want to show the column bar’s color based on the stepped line chart. When the column bar and line of the stepped chart crosses, the column bar higher than the line shows red, lower than the line shows blue.

According to my test, the goal cannot be achieved. In my test, I add a column chart and stepped line chart as shown below, I cannot control the color of the column chart’s bar based on the intersection point.

Therefore, I would suggest you submitting a wish at https://connect.microsoft.com/sql. Connect site is a connection point between you and Microsoft, and ultimately the larger community. Your feedback enables Microsoft to make software and services the best that they can be, and you can learn about and contribute to exciting projects.

Regards,
    Heidi Duan

Heidi Duan
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by _c Friday, January 17, 2014 10:22 AM
    Friday, January 17, 2014 7:55 AM
  • Thanks Heidi
    Friday, January 17, 2014 10:22 AM