none
SBS 2011 with premium add on

Question

• Hi

We are planning to deploy a Hyper-v server with following hosts

1 x SBS 2011

1 x Server 2008 R2 with SQL 2008

1 x Server 2008 R2 running RDS (We have a 2008 R2 std licens for that)

The company have a HP Proliant ML350 Gen8 server with a 6 core CPU

We have the space for 8 SAS drives what will be the best raid configuration for this ?

Monday, October 21, 2013 1:13 PM

Answers

• Should be fine.  Maybe a bit more than necessary.  With many controllers you can add drives to the array if you need more space.  But if the budget is not being exceeded, go for it.

I used to keep the OS on a RAID1 just to be able to replace the drives if one went wonky and to create data volumes on RAID1 if they were large enough.  As the controllers and the drives get better/faster/more reliable, I am starting to just make on large array and partition it.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] If your question is answered, please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

• Marked as answer by Thomas Thorup Monday, October 28, 2013 9:43 AM
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:26 PM

All replies

• Hi:

Depends a lot on the space requirements.  A RAID 6, giving you usable space of 6 out of 8 would be very good.  But a RAID5 with a hot spare would be similar.  RAID5 with no hot spare would give the most space, but less fault tolerance.  After that, you scale back the usable space as you reduce the number of drives in the Array.

If you don't need that much space, then two RAID1's might work.  Fault tolerant and easier to manage.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] If your question is answered, please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Monday, October 21, 2013 1:20 PM
  • Hi Larry

It's a little company with 16 Users so the raw data space is about 500GB So if we calculate with 300GB harddrives

What about the Hyper-V server and drives?. Normally we will setup an Vmware ESXi and make a Raid 10 as Datastore.

Should we use

2 x 146GB in Raid 1 to Hyper-v

6 x 300GB in Raid 6 to the rest?

Monday, October 21, 2013 1:27 PM
  • Should be fine.  Maybe a bit more than necessary.  With many controllers you can add drives to the array if you need more space.  But if the budget is not being exceeded, go for it.

I used to keep the OS on a RAID1 just to be able to replace the drives if one went wonky and to create data volumes on RAID1 if they were large enough.  As the controllers and the drives get better/faster/more reliable, I am starting to just make on large array and partition it.

• Marked as answer by Thomas Thorup Monday, October 28, 2013 9:43 AM
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:26 PM
  • Okay - We will try the setup and see how it perform :)

Thank you for the repley.

/Thomas

Monday, October 28, 2013 9:43 AM