none
SharePoint 2010 , SSRS & Proejct Server Licensing Model

Question

• Hi All,

I have a kind of simple question but important.I am trying to understand how licensing works for SharePoint 2010, SQL server 2008 and Project server 2010.

In a 2 server farm: I have SharePoint and project server on Server A and SQL, SSRS and SSAS on server B. I want to use SSRS for reporting purpose (since I have project server 2010). In another thread one of the experts suggested that I need to install SSRS on SharePoint Server (Server A) and it will cost me addition license for SQL.

My question is if I want to avoid addition SQL license cost can I install SharePoint bits on SQL server on server B (rather than installing SSRS on SharePoint server) and  do I need a license for SharePoint in this case? That being said if I go this path do I also need to install project server 2010 along with SharePoint on SQL server (Server 2) and need license for project as well? Can someone make it clear? Its very confusing when it comes to the licensing model and I have seen all TechNet sites talking about license   they are more confusing.

Also what will be licensing model if I want to add one more server? And use as dedicated application server for SSRS?

Thanks for your help !

Sunday, October 06, 2013 7:20 PM

Answers

• If you want SSRS in SharePoint Integrated mode, you must install SSRS on a SharePoint server joined to the farm.  So you either need an additional SQL license (SQL BI or Enterprise), or an additional SharePoint license (which isn't recommended to install on the SQL Database Engine server).  And yes, every SharePoint server needs Project Server installed, which is a separate license.

Cost-wise, you're better off purchasing a SQL BI Edition license for the SharePoint server and installing it there.  Otherwise you'd have to purchase another SharePoint Enterprise + Project Server server CAL.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by UMAR_USNT Sunday, October 06, 2013 8:51 PM
    Sunday, October 06, 2013 7:28 PM

All replies

• If you want SSRS in SharePoint Integrated mode, you must install SSRS on a SharePoint server joined to the farm.  So you either need an additional SQL license (SQL BI or Enterprise), or an additional SharePoint license (which isn't recommended to install on the SQL Database Engine server).  And yes, every SharePoint server needs Project Server installed, which is a separate license.

Cost-wise, you're better off purchasing a SQL BI Edition license for the SharePoint server and installing it there.  Otherwise you'd have to purchase another SharePoint Enterprise + Project Server server CAL.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by UMAR_USNT Sunday, October 06, 2013 8:51 PM
    Sunday, October 06, 2013 7:28 PM
  • Thank you for responding here and making it more clear. Thanks . 

Sunday, October 06, 2013 8:51 PM