none
Cant refresh Windows 7 x64 MDT 2010

Question

• Hello!

I am having problems when I try to do a refresh installation of Windows 7 x64 using Litetouch.wsf in MDT2010.
    It runs the first steps in the task sequence and when it is time to reboot to WinPE the computer restarts but instead of booting PE it starts Windows.

If do the same thing in Windows 7 x86 it works as it should, the computer restarts, boots into PE and applies the image.

W7 x64 -> W7 x64 = doesn't work
    W7 x64 -> W7 x86 = doesn't work
    W7 x86 -> W7 x64 = works
    W7 x86 -> W7 x86 = works
    Tuesday, May 07, 2013 8:54 AM

Answers

• I found the solution..

In the ZTIUtility.vbs script it looks in %windir%\system32 for files(including bcdedit.exe). I changed this to %windir%\Sysnative and after this LTIApply.wsf could find bcdedit.exe and apply the ramdrive and reboot into PE.

Thank you Rens for your help.
    • Edited by Mattias_O Wednesday, May 08, 2013 12:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mattias_O Wednesday, May 08, 2013 12:38 PM
    Wednesday, May 08, 2013 12:36 PM

All replies

• Seems to me your x64 boot iso is not available. How do you advertise your boot images? From a USB stick, PXE boot or do you kick off the litetouch.wsf in Windows?

At the deployment share properties is the creation of the x64 boot image still checked or is it unchecked?

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 9:44 AM
  • I start Litetouch.wsf in windows.
    At the deployment share properties  "Generate a Lite Touch PE Wim file" is checked and "generate a Lite Touch bootable ISO image" is not checked.

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 10:39 AM
  • And are both the x86 and x64 versions checked?

My suggestion, please check the "generate a Lite Touch Bootable ISO image" check both the x86 and x64 properties because they may differ. Regenerate your boot images by updating your deployment share and try again.

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 10:53 AM
  • I checked "Generate a Lite Touch Bootable ISO image" for x64 and updated the deployment share. For x86 it was already checked.

But the problem with x64 remains, it doesn't boot into PE after restart.

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 12:14 PM
  • I have studied the bdd.log for a successful refresh and a failed refresh and found something that might be of interest.

After copying the bootfiles from \\deployserver\deploymentshare$\Boot\x64\Boot\ it says in the bdd.log:

for the failed refresh:
    Copying \\deployserver\deploymentshare$\Boot\x64\Boot\fonts\wgl4_boot.ttf to C:\boot\fonts\wgl4_boot.ttf
    FindFile: The file bcdedit.exe could not be found in any standard locations.
    Missing BCDEdit.exe.
    LTI Windows PE applied successfully

For the successful refresh:
    Copying \\deployserver\deploymentshare$\Boot\x64\Boot\fonts\wgl4_boot.ttf to C:\boot\fonts\wgl4_boot.ttf
    Run Command: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\bcdedit.exe /export "C:\boot\bcd.save"
    And then like 60 lines of BCD logging
    LTI Windows PE applied successfully

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 3:40 PM
  • Success!

On the x64 machine bcdedit.exe is located in C:\Windows\System32 but it seems to be looking for it in C:\Windows\SysWOW64. So if i manually copy the file to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and then perform a refresh it works!

I tried to make a simple bat file to copy the file in the task sequence but i get an access denied error.

Any solutions to this ?
    Wednesday, May 08, 2013 9:02 AM
  • Could you give this a try? Put the file in a folder in your deployment share like this:

.\deploymentshare\custom_files\bcdedit.exe

Then use a Run Command Line to copy the file to your location:

xcopy "%DeployRoot%\custom_files\bcedit.exe" "C:\Windows\SysWow64\" with the Run Command Line step you can provide alternative credentials if needed.

Alternatively you can copy the file from your C:\Windows\System32 to your C:\Windows\SysWow64 with the same command line arguments, you only need to change the target directory.

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 9:16 AM
  • I tried making a .bat with the line:
    xcopy "C:\windows\system32\bcdedit.exe" "c:\windows\syswow64"

And when i run it from a command prompt i get access denied, but if i right-click the cmd and use "run as administrator" it works.

So i assume i need administrative rights to write to c:\windows\syswow64 and i dont know how to do this in a task sequence.
    And I am logged in as a local administrator.
    Wednesday, May 08, 2013 9:24 AM
  • Like I said, past the copy command in a "Run Command Line" step at the right place in your task sequence.

Then check this image here:

This image is just an example, but as you can see, you can run this step with another account. Provide the local admin credentials here.

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 9:43 AM
  • I have tried that now and the task sequence fails when trying to run the command line.

I dont think the account is the problem, I ran the script using an account that is a local admin. But i need elevated rights to be allowed to write files to C:\Windows\SysWOW64.
    Wednesday, May 08, 2013 11:10 AM
  • I found the solution..

In the ZTIUtility.vbs script it looks in %windir%\system32 for files(including bcdedit.exe). I changed this to %windir%\Sysnative and after this LTIApply.wsf could find bcdedit.exe and apply the ramdrive and reboot into PE.

Thank you Rens for your help.
    • Edited by Mattias_O Wednesday, May 08, 2013 12:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mattias_O Wednesday, May 08, 2013 12:38 PM
    Wednesday, May 08, 2013 12:36 PM