none
Secondary DPM-server offsite, solution?

Question

• Hi,

I'm testing out DPM for a scenario with 2 servers connected over WAN (5mbit). I have one primary DPM protecting a number of servers (5-10), and a secondary DPM offsite protecting the main one. The issue I'm running into is that all the BMR/System data will be transmitted to the secondary server at every synchronization (Source). This will be way too much data for the quite limited WAN-link to handle and I really want to have the BMR-data available offsite.

Is there a way to work around this issue? Anyone else have experience with a similar scenario?

Best Regards,

Mikael Andersson 

Thursday, February 09, 2012 2:23 PM

Answers

• That's weird. I think it should take only the incremental data.

I'll try to find out.

To my understanding it does, but due to the way the backups are handled all the blocks appear altered and thus all data will be resent.
    Friday, February 10, 2012 9:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Mikael,

if you are talking about the BMR of the primary server you just need to get into Windows Server Backup on that server and select "Configure backup performance" (or something like that i'm on a french OS right now so i don't have the correct term) and select the second option "Higher backup performance".
    This will only take changed files.

Doing that will prevent DPM from synchronizing everything each time it should replicate.

edit: What you need to open is "Configure Performance Settings" and the option itself is named "Faster Backup Performance".

Friday, February 10, 2012 9:17 AM
  • Hi Mikael,

if you are talking about the BMR of the primary server you just need to get into Windows Server Backup on that server and select "Configure backup performance" (or something like that i'm on a french OS right now so i don't have the correct term) and select the second option "Higher backup performance".
    This will only take changed files.

Doing that will prevent DPM from synchronizing everything each time it should replicate.

Thanks for the answer!

I'm aware of this feature, the problem is synchronizing the BMR-data to the secondary DPM-server which is offsite. This will always transfer all the data from what I've read and seen during testing.

Friday, February 10, 2012 9:23 AM

I'll try to find out.

Friday, February 10, 2012 9:30 AM

I'll try to find out.

To my understanding it does, but due to the way the backups are handled all the blocks appear altered and thus all data will be resent.
    Friday, February 10, 2012 9:35 AM