none
update rollup 5 for exchange server 2007 sp3 fails on a new install

Question

• Hello,

I am doing a new Install of Exchange 2007 SP3 and have placed the Updated Rollup 5 in the patch directory.  The install fails with the following error:

Copying Exchange files FAILED

Installing product C:\EX2K7SP3UR5\exchangeserver.nsi failed. Fatal error during installation. Error code is 1603. Last error reported by the MSI package is ‘The file ‘ul_catalog.51D6FD4C_6551104FF1FC8B3B9A1E18E’ cannot be installed because the file cannot be found in cabinet file ‘ATLplcy.cab’ . This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD—ROM. or a problem with this package.’.

The Exchange Server Setup operation did not complete. For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com and enter the Error ID.

Exchange Server setup encountered an error.

I have try from a network share and a local copy.  As well re-download the update rollup.

If I remove the Update Rollup and just install Exchange 2007 SP3 without it, it Installs not problem.  I then install the Rollup and it will then install with no problem.

So, this Update Rollup will not work for me from the patch directory.

Based OS: Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Service Pack 1 with current updates less .NET Framework 4.0

DC OS: Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x64 Edition Service Pack 2 with current Updates

Would like to be able to apply the update rollup from the patch directory like it was intend for. 

Any ideas where to look for to resolve this problem?

Thanks in Advance,

Carlos

Monday, January 30, 2012 8:12 PM

All replies

• Do you happen to have any Interim Updates applied on the Exchange Server? If you look in Control Panel> Add Remove >Programs>Show Updates>Microsoft Exchange Server  see if you have any listed. If I remember right they have to be removed prior to a Rollup going on. As MS has release a few Interim Updates over the last few months Post SP3 to fix issues.

John

Monday, January 30, 2012 8:40 PM
  • Hi John,

Nope, complete new install. Taking a fresh SP3 and want the Update Rollup 5 to be taken from the patch directory update like it was design to do.  Like I stated if I leave out the the rollup it works and I can then applied the rollup afterwards with no problem.

Thanks

Carlos

Carlos
    Monday, January 30, 2012 10:24 PM
  • Hi Carlos,
    Just want to say, that I have experienced the same issue.
    I don't know why it's not possible to add RU5 in the Updates folder, but it really doesn't work.
    Martina Miskovic
    Monday, January 30, 2012 11:20 PM
  • Hi Carlos,

So, I would install the exchange sp3 firstly, and apply the rollup5.
    Yet, it is a workaround, I will do more research, if any new information, I would post here.

Regards!

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Gavin

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:43 AM
  • Hi Gavin,

Well Update Rollup 6 has just been release and thought I will give it a try.

It appears that Update Rollup 6 has the same exact issue, and I do mean exactly.  Same problem file as Update Rollup 5.

I am guessing one does not hear of the problem since most people are doing upgrades from existing installs or not aware of the patch directory feature when doing new installs.

Thaks,

Carlos

Carlos
    • Edited by CRamos Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:17 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 10:43 PM