none
unable to send emails to a mail contact

Question

• when sending email to a specific mail account in exchange from within or outside of organization it shows below error message

#< #5.4.6 smtp;554 5.4.6 Hop count exceeded - possible mail loop> #SMTP# Received: from testserver.test-1.COM

this account is a mail contact in our exchange (someone@test.com) and its smtp address is someone@test-1.com

the test-1 is also our domain of exchange 2010 and was part of our exchange organization prior to 2010 migration. this problem starts to occur after migration from 2007 to 2010

Thursday, July 25, 2013 1:47 AM

Answers

All replies

• It looks like there is no route to the destination domain so the HT servers keep bouncing messages back and forth. Go to send connectors and create a send connector to the destination domain by the IP address of its Hub Transport server. (smart host)

Regards, Sourabh Kumar Jha

Thursday, July 25, 2013 3:27 AM
  • Hi Sourabh,

Thanks for your reply but the send connector is already created

Thanks

Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:11 AM
  • As per the details you have a mail Contact, which is having @test-1.com smtp address and resides in different Exchange Organization.

Could you please confirm the address space of the send connector, I hope that will be for * address space only. if this is correct then create a new send connector with @test-1.com address space and check.

if there is already a send connector for @test-1.com then enable expert level logging on HUB server for below parameters when you send the message and check the event viewer  of hub server for related events

MSExchangeTransport\SmtpReceive
    MSExchangeTransport\SmtpSend
    MSExchangeTransport\DSN
    MSExchangeTransport\Routing
    MSExchangeTransport\Logging
    MSExchangeTransport\Components
    MSExchangeTransport\RemoteDelivery
    MSExchangeTransport\Pickup
    MSExchangeTransport\Categorizer
    MSExchangeTransport\TransportService
    MSExchangeTransport\Configuration

Regards, Sourabh Kumar Jha

Thursday, July 25, 2013 8:17 AM
  • It could be that you have a mail Loop.

Check that the Forward Addresses from this contact and the object on the other side are not pointed to them.
    You can check the targetAddress Attribute in AD.

Viele Grüsse Georg

• Edited by fgeo-ch Thursday, July 25, 2013 8:49 AM change
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 8:32 AM
  • <//span>

Hi,

<//span>

I recommend you check TargetAddress Attribute of this account in AD.

<//span>

And pls please try clearing this attribute to solve this problem. 

You can refer to the following links:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/7c053ddc-1338-4ff0-abd6-618f5cd2cb03/554-546-hop-count-exceeded-possible-mail-loop

http://msexchangetips.blogspot.in/2011/01/546-hop-count-exceeded-possible-mail.html

Thanks.

Friday, July 26, 2013 4:57 AM
  • Hi,

#< #5.4.6 smtp;554 5.4.6 Hop count exceeded - possible mail loop> #SMTP# Received: from testserver.test-1.COM --->It shows that not able to connect with the destination server. If someone@test-1.com is really valid domain?

Can you check this domain have MX record PTR records by http://mxtoolbox.com/

If the domain is valid check the Send Connectors whether any send connector matching the address with above sender domain?, If you found anything check whether it's pointing to Smarthost or MX?

If you have single sender connector with * address space check the contact account properties and verify whether any internal domain proxy address is updated, if any delete it and try again.

Regards

Gangaiyan.M Enterprise Messaging Administrator-Exchange 2010. Windows 2008 Active Directory Configuring. If my answer helped you, Mark it as Propose as answer http://exchangeexpertscommunity.blogspot.in/

Friday, July 26, 2013 7:25 AM
  • Hi,

It seems you have a mail loop, please check if the email address has a mailbox. You said problem is with specific mail account. Could you please confirm if you can send mail to any other recipient in test-1.com domain (direct to recipient instead of contact)?

You can also trace logs in transport servers and can locate the paths travelled by message.

Regards..

Himanshu Rana

MCTS|MCSE|MCSA:Messaging|CCNA

Friday, July 26, 2013 7:41 AM
  • Hi,

Also check whether any other proxy address associated with that mail enabled contact?

Gangaiyan.M Enterprise Messaging Administrator-Exchange 2010. Windows 2008 Active Directory Configuring. If my answer helped you, Mark it as Propose as answer http://exchangeexpertscommunity.blogspot.in/

Saturday, July 27, 2013 5:12 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your replies,

@Gangaiyan

This is a valid domain and part of exchange organization we can send and recieve emails to all other addresses. there is two smtp addresses associated with this contact i.e. someone@test.com and someone@test-1.com

@Himanshu

We are able to communicate with other users with no problems

@ Sourabh

I have checked the smtpsend and smtprecieve logs but unable to identify the root cause

Thanks

Saturday, July 27, 2013 8:25 PM
  • Hi Akbar,

If this is a contact someone@test.com, where is the mailbox resides ?

what happens if you add someone1@test.com as secondary address and try sending email ?

Kottees : My Blog : Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you.

Saturday, July 27, 2013 9:01 PM
  • Check the e-mail system that manages the @test-1.com domain. When you send a message someone@test-1.com there's something in that organization that sends the message right back to address someone@test.com (which then sends the message back to someone@test-1.com, which sends the message back to someone@teat.com, etc., etc. etc.).

If you check the other organization you'll probably find that someone@test-1.com is a mail-enabled contact with a target address of someone@test.com, or the mailbox has an alternate recipient, or the mailbox had an inbox rule that redirects the message bck to someone@test.com.

IOW, you have a mail loop.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Saturday, July 27, 2013 9:31 PM