none
"Unexpected error occurred" with ADRMS and Word

Question

• Hello,

I found this topic which fits pretty well my own situation : http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrsecuremessaging/thread/b8776bae-97f3-4a54-8e37-43c5064c091f?prof=required but it didn't do it for me as things are quite different.

I set a client/server infra with 2008 R2 and a 7 client 64bits with Office 2007 Enterprise SP2, both up-to-date and rebooted several times.

Server roles are DC, AD, DNS, IIS and RMS, all running. The 7 client joined the domain. Both access the internet, and can see (ping) each other. AD users do have an e-mail address, as I read it was mandatory. 

Problem is : when I try to restrict access on a Word document, I get this poor error message "Unexpected error occurred...", telling me about a network unavaibility or dysfunctionment.

I read a few topics by people dealing with the same error message but I couldn't make it to work. RmsToolkit has been installed on the client, then I ran an IRMCheck pointing out the fact that I had registry values that were not correct.

Though, when I look for those given in the hereinbefore link, that is to say HKLM\Software\Microsft\MSDRM, I have no MSDRM folder but a DRM with no keys in it.

I checked the SCP which seems correct.

Would anyone have some ideas ? I may have forgotten steps or be misdoing something. Thank you.

• Edited by EytchKay Wednesday, May 23, 2012 9:25 AM adding details
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 9:16 AM

Answers

• 4 hours later...

Problem solved !

A DNS A record was missing. When I tried to access the RMS server from the client via the cluster internal URL (licensing and certification), it did not work. IE couldn't find its way. I replaced the domain name by the IP address in the URL and it led me to the "this certificate is not sure" page, which meant it had worked.

I added the missing record and I was done.

Hope nobody is gonna go through it since it's a waste of time...

• Marked as answer by EytchKay Wednesday, May 23, 2012 3:03 PM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 3:03 PM

All replies

• Hello

Is the IE configured with a proxy server, if so can you remove it and try protecting the document again.

Plus check the IIS logs on the ADRMS server c:\inetpub\logfiles folder during the same time to find the corresponding error on access.

Blog: http://OutOfScope.info | @ Twitter: @darthsydd | ADRMS Wiki Portal: Technet Wiki

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 1:41 PM
  • 4 hours later...

Problem solved !

A DNS A record was missing. When I tried to access the RMS server from the client via the cluster internal URL (licensing and certification), it did not work. IE couldn't find its way. I replaced the domain name by the IP address in the URL and it led me to the "this certificate is not sure" page, which meant it had worked.

I added the missing record and I was done.

Hope nobody is gonna go through it since it's a waste of time...

• Marked as answer by EytchKay Wednesday, May 23, 2012 3:03 PM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 3:03 PM