none
DPM file server backup

Question

• Hi,

I have a DPM server which has two protection groups, PG1 and PG2. PG1 protects E: of the protected server among others also and PG2 protects K: of the same protected server among others. PG1 is configured in such a way that recovery point creation happens every hour, and for PG2 it happens once everyday.

I wanted to move E: to PG2 and K: to PG1. Can I just remove E: from PG1 and add it to PG2 and do the same for K: without having to lose the earlier recovery points (the recovery points are created on disk)?

And when I do this, will I be able to recover data from these drives using earlier recovery points?

Thanks

Pavit

Thursday, February 09, 2012 3:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, simply stop protection for the E: and K: volumes and make sure you retain the replica data.   At this time they will be places in an "inactive" protection group and recoveries will still be possible based on the original recovery points taken.  Now modify the protection group-2 and re-protect the E: volume.  That will bring it out of inactive protection and will assume the new recovery goals of that protection group and will start a consistency check.   Do the same with PG1 and the K: volume.  All previous recovery points will be available for recovery still.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, February 10, 2012 1:11 AM