none
WSUS Uninstall - System Still Searching for Directory Path

Question

• Hello,

I recently uninstalled WSUS from a Server 2012 server core machine and installed it on a different Server 2012 server core machine.  Everything is operational on the new server with no problems.  However, on the old server, I am getting an error (this is mainly an issue because SCOM generates an error because of this).  Either way, I want to get to the root of the problem on the server so I am curious if anyone else has encountered an issue such as this below (now, I can understand the error because the WebServices\Root folder has been removed since it isn't a WSUS server no longer):

"Could not find directory path 'C:\Program Files\Update Services\WebServices\Root\' for WebSite with Name :'WSUS Administration' and ID :'1014308378'. This website will be discovered with some properties missing. Operation will be retried.

Error: 0x80070003

Details: The system cannot find the path specified.

Workflow name: Microsoft.Windows.InternetInformationServices.6.2.Discover96to100WebSites

Instance name: IIS Web Server

Instance ID: {D1E371F2-DD70-9261-7B48-25D6D868F1E3}

Management group: <domain>"

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 3:09 PM

Answers

• this is mainly an issue because SCOM generates an error because of this

Then you probably ought to ask in the Operations Manager forum.

"Could not find directory path 'C:\Program Files\Update Services\WebServices\Root\' for WebSite with Name :'WSUS Administration' and ID :'1014308378'.

Or not... :-)

This is actually an IIS 101 issue.

SCOM is looking for a resource on SiteID 1014308378. But SiteIDs in IIS are randomly assigned during site creation, so even though the machine name may be the same, almost certainly the SiteID changed when you moved the WSUS server to a new machine.

Remove the SCOM references to the old server and add NEW references to the new WSUS server.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Friday, February 07, 2014 12:58 AM