none
What is the webconf.domain.com URL used for in Lync 2013

Question

• Trying to figure out what the webconf.domain.com URL is used for in Lync 2013. How does it different from meet.domain.com? Our currently implementation of Lync 2010 has a public record in DNS for webconf but this name does not existing in any certificate on either the Edge or FE. If it needs to be in DNS, does it need to exist in the certificate or is it like av.domain.com which doesn't need to have an entry in as a SAN?
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:25 PM

Answers

• To add to what Anthony has stated:

The web conferencing edge service is only used by external clients that are authenticated through the access edge service. It is used to listen for PSOM traffic over port 443 (basically it downloads meeting content such as whiteboard and presentations, etc. for external clients).

The Simple meeting URL typically https://meet.domain.com/ is used for all other web conferencing features including anonymous user access for meetings through Lync attendee and Lync web app. It also allows external users to use the web services on the Front end server like the ability to download the address book and use the distribution expansion feature for messaging distro lists.

I hope that helps.

--Mike-- Network/Systems Administrator

Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:30 PM

All replies

• It's better explained in this thread. This question has been posed before.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/c74bedb6-6352-4280-a0f3-6c49c6c83def/edge-webconf-vs-simple-url-meet

Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:36 PM
  • This could refer to a few things.  The edge has a web conferencing edge role, which you might have named webconf.  Or, your external web services FQDN for your front end pool.  Either way, webconf is not a defined URL in Lync 2013 and you can name these services with any valid FQDN you'd like.

Whatever name you assign to these roles, you'll need the name in a public certificate to access it externally (unlike the av edge role you mentioned).

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:38 PM
  • I looked in Topology builder and our current 2010 Edge's Web Conferencing Edge Service is called webconf.domain.com and a associated public IP. We have this IP in public DNS but I don't see any reference to webconf.domain.com in the certificates on the Edge or the FE for that matter. The Edge just has av.domain.com and sip-edge.domain.com in the certificate so I guess we are not using webconf for anything? Getting back to my original question, not sure what its even used for. I read the post provided in this thread and I am even more confused after reading that. I thought maybe this was used by clients that used the Lync web browser client and not the Windows client?
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:01 PM
  • It sounds like you may not have had that set up properly and you weren't using the web conf edge.  It's just part of the design for hosting web conferencing and enables some of the collaborative features such as whiteboards.  Without it, you could have had partial functionality as A/V, IM and some other features would have worked.

It's used by the full Windows Lync client.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:07 PM
  • To add to what Anthony has stated:

The web conferencing edge service is only used by external clients that are authenticated through the access edge service. It is used to listen for PSOM traffic over port 443 (basically it downloads meeting content such as whiteboard and presentations, etc. for external clients).

The Simple meeting URL typically https://meet.domain.com/ is used for all other web conferencing features including anonymous user access for meetings through Lync attendee and Lync web app. It also allows external users to use the web services on the Front end server like the ability to download the address book and use the distribution expansion feature for messaging distro lists.

I hope that helps.

Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:30 PM
  • Thanks Mike, it does. Can I ask what you mean by "external clients"? I am guessing this is a user with the Windows Lync client but is not connected to the network with a VPN? Reason I ask is we little to none of that and even those that might connect this way do very basic IM'ing which is why no one noticed the webconf functions were not working.
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:38 PM
  • That is correct the web conferencing edge services are also used by federated partners for the same reasons as external Lync clients would.

Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:43 PM
  • Well, that is interesting about federated partners because we do federate with another company but again I believe all anyone uses it for is very basic IM'ing which is why no one has said anything.

Thanks

Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:47 PM
  • In addition, SAN=The Access Edge external interface FQDN and SAN=The Web Conferencing Edge external interface FQDN are required for Lync Edge certificate. SAN=av.domain.com is not required.

For the detailed information, you can check the certificate section at

http://blog.schertz.name/2012/07/lync-edge-server-best-practices/

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Lisa Zheng
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 1:02 PM