none
IPV6 basic knowledge

Question

• I have been assign to work in the conversion of IPV address of our network infrastructure. I have not been provide with a flowchart of the network components. Neither I have bee given information of what hardware update or changes they have implemented to support this migration. I have been informed that there DMZ area is already IPV6 compactible.

Is there any tool I can use to do an inventory of devices in the network that will require to be replace or upgrade ?

They do not have a testing area configure yet. Which is the best way to do this.... It will not be an mirror image of network infrastructure present in the agency. What should I include in the testing area (components)?

Any guidelines I will appreciate to start this project

michael john ocasio

Monday, January 27, 2014 7:21 PM

Answers

• 1. Hire someone with knowledge of IPv6 and network devices. It is very hard to finish project in short time without appropriate knowledge.

2. If you have appropriate rights, login into active network devices and read configuration. Alternatively there should be documentation. If there is no documentation, make it yourself.

3. Have some books on IPv6 (MS: Understading IPv6, Cisco: IPv6 Fundamentals) and switch&routers configuration (depends on hardware vendor, eg Cisco).

Regards

Milos

• Marked as answer by mjocasio23 Monday, January 27, 2014 8:21 PM
    Monday, January 27, 2014 8:09 PM
  • These are basic resources I found to learn the theory behind IPv6.

1. Reasons for implementing it (Microsoft Case scenario)

2. IPv6 Understanding Technology,

2. Provides examples/case problems that you could encounter during the transition phase.

3. Hands-on lab to configure an IPv6 Test Lab which covers

a. Configuring the physical or virtual machines as base configuration lab

b. Verify IPv4 connectivity to the subnet.

c. Default connectivity IPv6  configuring and link-local connectivity on the same subnet.

d. Demonstrate ISATAP based IPv6 connectivity.

e. Native connectivity IPv6.

f. 6to4 based connectivity.

If you read and do the hands-on lab test. You will get acquaintance with using the netsh and IPconfig command to configure and access the IPv6 addresses.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/network/bb530961.aspx

michael john ocasio

• Marked as answer by mjocasio23 Tuesday, January 28, 2014 1:36 PM
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 1:35 PM

All replies

• 1. Hire someone with knowledge of IPv6 and network devices. It is very hard to finish project in short time without appropriate knowledge.

2. If you have appropriate rights, login into active network devices and read configuration. Alternatively there should be documentation. If there is no documentation, make it yourself.

3. Have some books on IPv6 (MS: Understading IPv6, Cisco: IPv6 Fundamentals) and switch&routers configuration (depends on hardware vendor, eg Cisco).

Regards

Milos

• Marked as answer by mjocasio23 Monday, January 27, 2014 8:21 PM
    Monday, January 27, 2014 8:09 PM
  • These are basic resources I found to learn the theory behind IPv6.

1. Reasons for implementing it (Microsoft Case scenario)

2. IPv6 Understanding Technology,

2. Provides examples/case problems that you could encounter during the transition phase.

3. Hands-on lab to configure an IPv6 Test Lab which covers

a. Configuring the physical or virtual machines as base configuration lab

b. Verify IPv4 connectivity to the subnet.

c. Default connectivity IPv6  configuring and link-local connectivity on the same subnet.

d. Demonstrate ISATAP based IPv6 connectivity.

e. Native connectivity IPv6.

f. 6to4 based connectivity.

If you read and do the hands-on lab test. You will get acquaintance with using the netsh and IPconfig command to configure and access the IPv6 addresses.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/network/bb530961.aspx

michael john ocasio

• Marked as answer by mjocasio23 Tuesday, January 28, 2014 1:36 PM
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 1:35 PM