Outlook 2010 + Win 8 and IMAP SSL connection error

Question

• Hi,

I've got a Synology DS-411 NAS based mail server that consists of postfix (smtp) and dovecot (imap/pop).

When I connect with Windows 7 and Outlook 2010 it works like a charm. No problem. Since I installed Windows 8 as a dual boot I get the error 0x800CCC0E could not synchronise subscribed folders.

My first idea is that the problem is related to KB2585542. This article refers to an hotfix for Windows 7 regarding SSL connections. I had to alter the register otherwise my checkpoint SSL VPN would not work. Because the IMAP connection is also over SSL it might be related.

Because I couldn't get a netmon working on Windows 8 (it did not recognize any NIC's) I don't know why the error occurs. Returning to Windows 7 solves my issue. Does anyone have a tip to check or to do? PLease reply for more info when needed.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check the settings referring to the following article:

How to configure Internet e-mail accounts in Outlook
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287532

Meanwhile, please also try another account and see if it works.

Considering this issue is related to Office Outlook, if the issue persists, it is also recommended that you go to the Outlook forum for further investigation:

Outlook IT Pro Discussions
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/outlook/threads

Thanks.

Nicholas Li

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:42 AM
  • I'm sorry but a link to an article how to configure outlook won't do the job.

When I configure Outlook 2010 on Windows 7 it works perfectly. Outlook 2010 on a dual boot (so same network etc) doesn't stay connected. Authentication is ok but staying connected is an issue.

Friday, April 13, 2012 7:36 AM
  • I'm sorry but a link to an article how to configure outlook won't do the job.

When I configure Outlook 2010 on Windows 7 it works perfectly. Outlook 2010 on a dual boot (so same network etc) doesn't stay connected. Authentication is ok but staying connected is an issue.

Yes, if configured Outlook 2010 on Windows 7, then update to Windows 8 CP, this account with SLL will working. but set it on Windows 8, it still get a error message.
    Friday, April 27, 2012 7:06 AM
  • Hi,

I can confirm this. We have in Italy a own national certified E-Mail System called PEC. It is also using IMAP(S)/SSL. This PEC-Mail can't be configured correctly for Exchange. There are some workarounds, but the easiest method is to just use IMAP.

We've got three Computers using Windows 7 and Outlook 2010 (all Updates installed until 04-2012) in our Network, all working flawlessly with IMAP/SSL.

There's one Windows 8 CP slate/touch test PC - with exactly the same Problem described above. Currently there seems to be no workaround. It clearly is a Windows 8 CP problem.

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 8:10 AM
  • I can confirm the same problem as well. The same issue also occurs with Windows Live Mail 2012, but not with any other mail client.
    Friday, September 21, 2012 9:45 PM