none
Network browse

Question

• Hi, Gurus,

Our network are windows 2003 forest and domain function. We have four offices ( Office-A, Office-B, office-C and Office-D)

All DCs are GC, DNS and WINS in all offices. Four offices connected by T1. Office-A is head office.

Office-A: DC1A (win2k3 with DHCP) and DC2A (win2k8r2 hold FSMO)

Office-B: DC1B (win2k3 with DHCP)

Office-C: DC1C (win2k3 with DHCP)

Office-D: DC1D (win2k8 x86 with DHCP)

Currently I find office-A, office-B and office-C can browse all servers and pcs each other. But office-A, office-B and office-C cannot browse any servers and pcs in office-D. These three offices can ping pcs or explore by \\pc-name or remote desktop connects \\pc-name in office-D.

Office-D can browse all servers and pcs in office-A, office-B and office-C.

I enable network discovery on under sharing and discovery on \\DC1D .

I appreciate for any help!

George W

<input id="ccbb57e7-c35c-42d3-80db-669056c69b06_attachments" type="hidden" />
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 2:03 PM

Answers

• Moving the PDC role between the two DCs in OfficeA will not alleviate the issue.

I assume that each WINS server is ONLY pointing to itself as a WINS address? If not, that can cause problems. Non-WINS servers and client machines can point to more than one WINS server, but a WINS server MUST only point to itself. That's one of the cardinal rules.

Is your WINS replication partnership a mesh or hub and spoke? If a mesh, I do not recommend it. It causes problems because each WINS server is trying to replicate to others and may cause timing issues. Remember, the browser service will use WINS if it's available. If there are any problems with the replication design, it will cause problems with the browser.

The best example for a replication topology in your case, that is if all your DCs are WINS servers, is the following, and this is the method I've used for other customers, one of which has 3000 users, 30 DCs, 8 Sites. The main site has two WINS, and each site has a WINS. So the recommendation still applies.

• DC2A is the hub
    • All other WINS servers are only partners with DC2A. That's it.

-

I assume that all machines in each site are using the WINS server, and the DNS server for that matter, at it's site as the first entry, and DC2A as the second entry? If not, based on my suggestion above, that would be a good method to follow.

-

Now back to Office-D:

Is there a NAS device on the network? If there is, then that can cause havoc with the browser service. Major havoc. If there is, please disable any participation with the browser service.

Is there a *nix computer (unix or Linux) that has SAMBA installed and is participating with the browser service? If yes, disable it's participation as far as trying to become a master browser.

If push comes to shove, you must figure out what's going on at Office-D. I have a complete step by step to troubleshoot the browser service. And this came about because of a NAS device that I found (Seagate Black Armor) that did not have an option to turn off browser participation. I had to put it in its own subnet to be king of it's own subnet, because remember, each subnet has a browse master. The NAS device kept winning the election causing problems network wide.

Read up on how I did it --- I hope it helps.

Troubleshooting the Browser Service
    http://blogs.msmvps.com/acefekay/2012/10/01/troubleshooting-the-browser-service/

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP/EA, MCTS Windows 2008/R2 & Exchange 2007, Exchange 2010 EA, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    Technical Blogs & Videos: http://www.delawarecountycomputerconsulting.com/

This post is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

FaceBook Twitter LinkedIn

Saturday, July 27, 2013 1:58 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the post.

The Computer Browser service is set to disabled by default on Windows server 2008, please see this: http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/2008/07/25/netbios-browsing-across-subnets-may-fail-after-upgrading-to-windows-server-2008.aspx

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT

Friday, July 26, 2013 7:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I assume thue do not ping and you cannot browse \\pc-name?

Otherwise please explain what you mean by "browse pc".

could you please post an ipconfig /all from a member server in each of the 4 sites?

This is probably a dns/wins configuration issue. Are all dc's running dns? Is dhcp in each site (especially the one in Office-D) configured to set the local dc as dns server? Are there any dns or replication related events in event logs on DC1D?

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

• Edited by SenneVL Thursday, July 25, 2013 8:13 PM added ly assumption
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 2:11 PM
  •    Are your WINS servers set to replicate? For browsing the work, all sites must have access to all the WINS data so that they can contact the browse masters in all other sites.

Network discovery won't do anything for the computer browser service. It is for the new style browsing system, not the NT style which uses Netbios names and WINS (which you are using). Does server DC1D have Netbios over TCP/IP enabled? Does local browsing work for legacy OS clients in site D?

Bill

Thursday, July 25, 2013 11:55 PM
  • Hi
    Where is your primary DNS zones ??
    Do the secondary zones replicate with your primaries ???
    Does the Office-D's DNS zones replicate with your primary ???
    Do you set delegation or forwarding on your servers ??

IS

Friday, July 26, 2013 2:07 AM
  •   If he is using WINS to enable browsing, the DNS settings won't really make any difference to his browse lists. They will be coming from the computer browser service using Netbios names.

Bill

Friday, July 26, 2013 7:32 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the post.

The Computer Browser service is set to disabled by default on Windows server 2008, please see this: http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/2008/07/25/netbios-browsing-across-subnets-may-fail-after-upgrading-to-windows-server-2008.aspx

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT

Friday, July 26, 2013 7:53 AM
  •   If he is using WINS to enable browsing, the DNS settings won't really make any difference to his browse lists. They will be coming from the computer browser service using Netbios names.

Bill

Agree with Bill, check the NETbios and Wins on DC1D.

Any changes on DC1D?

Like changing the NIC on the server.

Or any network related changes either hardware or software settings?

Every second counts..make use of it.

• Edited by cguan Friday, July 26, 2013 7:56 AM edit
    Friday, July 26, 2013 7:55 AM
  • Hi, Gurus,
    Thanks for all information from you!
    WINS runs fine in DC1D and replica WINS on all DCs.
    Computer browser started on DC1D.
    Netbios over TCPIP are enabled on all DCs.
    Local browsing works for legacy OS clients in site D.
    Do you thing I move PDC role from DC2A (win2k8r2 hold FSMO) to DC1A (win2k3 with DHCP) according to microsoft link?
    thanks a lot
    George W
    Friday, July 26, 2013 2:28 PM
  • Moving the PDC role between the two DCs in OfficeA will not alleviate the issue.

I assume that each WINS server is ONLY pointing to itself as a WINS address? If not, that can cause problems. Non-WINS servers and client machines can point to more than one WINS server, but a WINS server MUST only point to itself. That's one of the cardinal rules.

Is your WINS replication partnership a mesh or hub and spoke? If a mesh, I do not recommend it. It causes problems because each WINS server is trying to replicate to others and may cause timing issues. Remember, the browser service will use WINS if it's available. If there are any problems with the replication design, it will cause problems with the browser.

The best example for a replication topology in your case, that is if all your DCs are WINS servers, is the following, and this is the method I've used for other customers, one of which has 3000 users, 30 DCs, 8 Sites. The main site has two WINS, and each site has a WINS. So the recommendation still applies.

• DC2A is the hub

-

I assume that all machines in each site are using the WINS server, and the DNS server for that matter, at it's site as the first entry, and DC2A as the second entry? If not, based on my suggestion above, that would be a good method to follow.

-

Now back to Office-D:

Is there a NAS device on the network? If there is, then that can cause havoc with the browser service. Major havoc. If there is, please disable any participation with the browser service.

Is there a *nix computer (unix or Linux) that has SAMBA installed and is participating with the browser service? If yes, disable it's participation as far as trying to become a master browser.

If push comes to shove, you must figure out what's going on at Office-D. I have a complete step by step to troubleshoot the browser service. And this came about because of a NAS device that I found (Seagate Black Armor) that did not have an option to turn off browser participation. I had to put it in its own subnet to be king of it's own subnet, because remember, each subnet has a browse master. The NAS device kept winning the election causing problems network wide.

Read up on how I did it --- I hope it helps.

Troubleshooting the Browser Service
    http://blogs.msmvps.com/acefekay/2012/10/01/troubleshooting-the-browser-service/

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP/EA, MCTS Windows 2008/R2 & Exchange 2007, Exchange 2010 EA, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003

This post is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Saturday, July 27, 2013 1:58 AM
  • Hi, Gurus,

After reading all information and verify all setting of DNS,WINS and DHCP of DCs, I change registry parameter IsDomainMaster=yes and MaintainServerList=yes on DC2A. after reboot DC2A, it is browing all device , servers and PCs on all subnet.

Thanks !!!

George W

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 1:37 PM
  • Glad you found a solution. I usually try not to modify reg entries. If you had to modify that, it tells me something else was winning the election. But glad to hear this solution works for you.

Ace Fekay

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 4:54 PM
  • Hi, Ace,

Thnaks again for your help! you point out some clues for me to check out. 

I want to try your suggestion

• DC2A is the hub

That is improving WINS performance and stability.

thanks!!!

George W

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:27 PM
  • Good to hear! Glad I could help.

:-)

Ace Fekay

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 7:15 PM