none
DAX - Find values between date ranges

Question

• Hi all,

I'm trying to create a calculated column [Work Quarter] that demarcates which (work-related) quarter for individual employees, based on unique dates of our employment calendar.

Here's my table ('Work'):

ID Date Worked Work Quarter
    John 3/11/2014 Q1-14
    Mark 4/20/2014 Q2-14

Q1-14 dates are 1/12/2014 through 4/12/2014.  (John worked on a date within this range.  Therefore, "Q1-14.")

Q2-14 dates are 4/13/2014 through 7/14/2014.  (Mark worked on a date within this range.  Therefore, "Q2-14.")

I've tried using nested IF statements to create the [Work Quarter] column, but keep getting errors.  Any suggestions???

Thanks,

~UG1

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 5:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It's good practice to have a dedicated 'calendar' table in your model that has a column for unique, sequential dates through your data period with no gaps.

You then create a relationship between this table and your work table and you can then slice the work table by the additional columns in the calendar table, one of which can be a 'Quarter' column.  

Your Calendar table can be a simple Excel table that you create yourself therefore no complex formulas are required.

You can include dates in an IF() in a Calc column but in the recent versions of PP I've found you've had to use the number rather than the date (e.g. 41740 for 1st of May).

HTH

Jacob

Jacob | Please mark helpful posts and answers

• Marked as answer by undergrads1 Wednesday, May 07, 2014 5:22 PM
    Tuesday, May 06, 2014 8:34 PM