none
Antivirus with SBS 2011 Essentials

Question

• Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if SBS2011 E includes any antivirus solution? If not any suggestions on a compatable product would be appriceated.

Thanks,

DJ

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 11:43 PM

Answers

• We recently installed an SBS 2011e server on a small network.  On the server, we are using Symantec Endpoing Proection 12.1 Small Business Edition.  Since the network is small (five users), we are using the *unmanaged* client only on the server.  After consultation with a Symantec engineer, we felt that it didn't make sense to add the complexity and traffic of SEP in a full, managed configuration.  The SEP umanaged client has worked very well on the server for us (so far, at least).

There is one other point I should mention.  We have disabled the SEP firewall on the server and are using the built-in SBS 2011e firewall instead.  One thing I have learned (the hard way) about SBS 2011e is that it works best using its default components, and the OS seems to expect the built-in firewall.  With the SEP firewall running, we were not able to add workstations via the Connect program (it was blocked by the firewall).  Once I disabled the firewall and re-enabled the Windows SBS firewall, everything went fine.  We probably could have gotten SEP to work by creating exceptions in the firewall for the Connect program.

By the way, the unmanaged SEP client is operates very much like the standalone Norton Internet Security 2011/2012 product, which we have also had very good experience with (unlike some of the previoius versions of that program).  This configuration of SEP runs on its own (definition file updates, scans, etc.) and does not interact with the workstations/clients on the network.  If the network size gets over a certain point, SEP can easily be reconfigured to provide a full managed, central solution.  However, we have not tried that on SBS 2011e.

To keep everything "in the family," we are running Norton Internet Security 2012 on the workstations.

The cost of this system is very low (SEP Small Business was about $35 for the server, and Norton Internet Security has a three-license version for $50).

Hope this helps.

John
    Monday, November 21, 2011 4:56 PM

All replies

• It doesnt.

I know that Trend is supporting SBSe with its latest build, but i dont know about other vendors.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP (2010) | www.titlerequired.com | www.itauthority.co.uk
    Friday, May 13, 2011 7:35 PM
  • I'm wondering if anyone has any input on an AV product for Essentials? I see this was posted earlier so I figure it's better to just ask here rather than start a new question. I see TrendMicro mentioned but I'm wondering about Microsoft's Forefront. Another post stated that it would not work on the server but it might have been referring to an earlier version than 2012 beta (even though "beta" scares me). I know you "can't put a price on security"; however, being a small office with a few more than 10 systems, we need to keep the cost down. Trend is a bit pricey compared to Forefront. Thanks for input.

Matt

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 3:44 PM
  • The one I know for sure that works with the WHS 2011/SBS 2011 family is Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 (Version 11.0.5 and higher), I've used it with both my WHS 2011 server at home and with my Windows Server 2008 R2 server at work with No problems. They also have Symatec Endpoint Protect 12 out as well.
    John M. Keller MCP (XP & 2003) | Security + E-Mail : itbeast@msn.com
    • Proposed as answer by ITBeast Wednesday, August 17, 2011 5:42 PM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 5:41 PM
  • Thanks for the input. We have had horrible success and many issues with two brands of antivirus and Symantec is one. The other is McAfees. This was prior to having a "real"server environment. In other words, we were running an XP workstation that acted like a server. It worked fine until our business demands increased. Again, thanks for the input. 
    Friday, August 19, 2011 1:30 PM
  • Sorry to hear about that Matt,

Having that I have used both Mcafee and Symantec in my life as an Admin Symantec is normally the best of the 2 evils, Mcafee by default will act as its own firewall and shut everything from the outside world, You really have to configure the pain in the butts to play nice with others :). Symantec Endpoint 11 (Version 11.0.5 and above) works well out of the box (ussually) and is not totally hostile to the world. Symantec 11.0.4 and lower will not work with the 2008 R2 code, which SBS 2011 falls in to.

Good luck with your new SBS 2011 server and your search for a suitable Anti-Virus.

John M. Keller MCP (XP & 2003) | Security + E-Mail : itbeast@msn.com
    Friday, August 19, 2011 8:48 PM
  • HAve you thought about Microsoft's Intune cloud offering? Perfect for off loading the resource/CPU hunger that most AV packages have, Made by MS so designed to work with Essentials like office 365 and also gives Windows 7 upgrade license as well. If it was too much then I'd definitely go the Trend route as again it's cloud based and works really well.
    Saturday, August 20, 2011 5:57 PM
  • Intune is ridiculously expensive. $11 per seat per month. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I have one major concern about some of this cloud based stuff. It's a great concept because everything we've used in the past has been so freaking resource greedy. We had Norton once. Then, when we finally had enough of them, we uninstalled their frustrating product and switched to McAfee (out of the frying pan and into the fire). We had a heck of a time getting Norton off of the computers completely. Even though it was uninstalled, it kept popping up trying to get us to reinstall it. I don't get how these AV companies can continue to be in business and do things like that. I also don't get this concept of having something "necessary" on your computer that sucks up all of your resources. It really defeats the purpose of having a computer.

With all of that said, my concern with cloud based options is the bandwidth required for it to work. We have a T1 (choke, gasp, ack) that shares 6 phone lines (obviously QoS) so our pipe is horrible. It is nothing but a headache. The decision was made to go with the company who supplies our service (cbeyond) because of the security and the options available. I was not involved in that decision. They offer no other options. I'm trying to come up with another option but the problem is we are in a three year contract with them. Plus, they offer a few things that we absolutely need. It basically comes down to using them for everything buy the big I.

All of this is so frustrating. Everyone's input is appreciated (understatement!) Thanks.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 2:46 PM
  • Using GFI (Sunbelt) Vipre Enterprise on one SBS essentials server and GFI cloud based (through GFI Max Remote Mgt - similar to Intune but much cheaper) on another.  So far so good.

Chris

QC Solutions
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 3:37 AM
  • Replying to this thread hoping to expand the question a bit and maybe get a Microsoft official response.

I understand that both Windows Home Server 2011 and Small Business Server 2011 are based on Windows Server 2008 R2 and that the Add-Ins SDK is compatible. In fact some of Microsoft's release announcement publicity for WHS 2011 claims that the Add-Ins product universe will be improved and more robust because of this mutual compatibility.

It is interesting that if you browse the product content website for Small Business Server, the link for antivirus support takes you to OneCare (now defunct, no longer supported). The SBS hyperlink is labeled "OneCare" but redirects to the Security Essentials website. Security Essentials is a client-only product (will not work on a Server product sku). I find it very, very interesting that Microsoft seems blind to this lack of security software support for their small business AND home users.

Does anyone working for Microsoft monitor this community forum and would they care to direct us to articles in Technet or MSDN or elsewhere for an official Microsoft position on security software for the Home Server 2011 and Small Business Server 2011 product lines?

• Edited by George Perkins Monday, September 12, 2011 3:29 PM correct typographical error
    Monday, September 12, 2011 3:22 PM
  • I've been posting about this since the RC of SBS Essentials was released. What I've been told is that Forefront will not be supported (obviously), MSE is only client based and there is no plan to create a server based MSE version, and that anyone running SBS 2011 should look towards InTune or a third-party solution. I'm testing Symantec SEP 12.1 in a VM right now and things seem good.
    Monday, September 26, 2011 4:09 PM
  • AVAST is supposed to be working on (maybe finished now) a product for WHS2011 and SBSe 2011..
    Monday, September 26, 2011 7:17 PM
  • There have been no responses to my queries on avast!'s community forums related to support of WHS 2011. They had a WHS v1 product, but so far have not released any information about progress towards release of a WHS 2011 (or SBS Essentials 2011) product. See, for example, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=81735.msg691422#msg691422 (thread began July 17, 2010, no response by avast!). Apparently avast! technical support does not actively participate in their customer forums. I do not currently own a license for avast! antivirus, so I can't open a support ticket to make an official inquiry.
    • Edited by George Perkins Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:44 PM correct typographical error
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:43 PM
  • I am no longer dealing with this server thankfully. It's been setup and is in the hands of my friend's office manager. I suppose this thread can continue for those who might need an answer. 

Thanks to all of those that offered support.

Matt

"And yet one more reason I'm a Mac user!"

Monday, October 03, 2011 11:54 AM
  • Hi,

Here is another option for you:

http://pinpoint.microsoft.com/en-US/applications/search/windows-small-business-server-2011-essentials-w400488?q=Windows+Small+Business+Server+2011+Essentials

Thank you.

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Ning Kuang[MSFT] Windows HSBS Program Manager
    • Proposed as answer by LabDaddy Friday, November 18, 2011 6:09 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by LabDaddy Friday, November 18, 2011 6:09 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 11:17 AM
  • Thank you Ning Kuang. To be more precise, the security software you refer to is:

Trend Micro "Worry-Free Business Security Services", a cloud-based security service.

http://us.trendmicro.com/us/products/sb/worry-free-business-security-services/index.html

Cost is $31 per seat. As of April 2011 support for SBS 2011 Essentials and WHS (without naming the WHS versions; presumably 2011, since SBS 2011 is supported).

You might also want to check out Panda Cloud Office Protection. There is a free edition that does not support a server OS. The Office edition is the lowest cost suite that includes the server OS. A single seat is $55 (a free 30-day trial download also available). See details at http://cloudprotection.pandasecurity.com/what/index.php and the promotion site http://www.forgetsecurity.com/.

Seems like the security software vendors are finally stepping up and providing a solution for SBS 2011 Essentials and WHS 2011. Microsoft, however, is still out of the picture.

This month Microsoft announced Release Candidate (RC) of their new version of System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection (formerly known as Forefront Endpoint Protection) a.k.a. anti-malware. Reading through the documentation, will not run on Windows Home Server 2011 or Small Business Server Essentials 2011. Specifications says it requires an Active Directory domain. Here is the leading-edge product for us, and Microsoft takes a pass. (See http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/system-center/endpoint-protection-2012.aspx).

My understanding of the marketing position is that small-medium business customers should use the Intune ("cloud" version of the System Center management products). Cost would be $11/PC/month. This is misleading since Intune is not currently positioned to protect a server OS (whether it be WHS 2011, SBS 2011, or the full Windows Server 2008 R2). Also, Intune specifically excludes all home and starter edition of clients (WinXP, WinVista, Win7). I found a link to provide feedback to the Intune team regarding their lack of support here: http://mymfe.microsoft.com/WindowsIntune/Feedback.aspx?formID=567

So far seems like only Panda and Trend Micro are in this business.

• Proposed as answer by George Perkins Friday, November 18, 2011 2:50 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 2:49 PM
  • I have been running F-Prot by Frisk. Low cost seems to work well. Installs easy.
    Friday, November 18, 2011 6:10 PM
  • I used Avast on my Home Server 2003 and now use it on WHS 2011. It works great and I have had no issues with it.
    Monday, November 21, 2011 3:35 PM
  • We recently installed an SBS 2011e server on a small network.  On the server, we are using Symantec Endpoing Proection 12.1 Small Business Edition.  Since the network is small (five users), we are using the *unmanaged* client only on the server.  After consultation with a Symantec engineer, we felt that it didn't make sense to add the complexity and traffic of SEP in a full, managed configuration.  The SEP umanaged client has worked very well on the server for us (so far, at least).

There is one other point I should mention.  We have disabled the SEP firewall on the server and are using the built-in SBS 2011e firewall instead.  One thing I have learned (the hard way) about SBS 2011e is that it works best using its default components, and the OS seems to expect the built-in firewall.  With the SEP firewall running, we were not able to add workstations via the Connect program (it was blocked by the firewall).  Once I disabled the firewall and re-enabled the Windows SBS firewall, everything went fine.  We probably could have gotten SEP to work by creating exceptions in the firewall for the Connect program.

By the way, the unmanaged SEP client is operates very much like the standalone Norton Internet Security 2011/2012 product, which we have also had very good experience with (unlike some of the previoius versions of that program).  This configuration of SEP runs on its own (definition file updates, scans, etc.) and does not interact with the workstations/clients on the network.  If the network size gets over a certain point, SEP can easily be reconfigured to provide a full managed, central solution.  However, we have not tried that on SBS 2011e.

To keep everything "in the family," we are running Norton Internet Security 2012 on the workstations.

The cost of this system is very low (SEP Small Business was about $35 for the server, and Norton Internet Security has a three-license version for $50).

Hope this helps.

John
    Monday, November 21, 2011 4:56 PM
  • Posting because it is something to keep an eye on: Take a look at G Data Internet Security Home Server on the UK website (http://www.gdatasoftware.co.uk/online-shop/anti-virus-produkte/shop/23-private-user/1741-g-data-is-for-homeserver.html).

The G Data antivirus WHS2011 product includes 5 clients for 99.99 British Pounds but is ONLY for UK customers. Their USA technical support / sales response seems wierdly unencouraging... I'd like to try this out (but I'm a USA customer). Also I'd think G Data would include SBS2011E in their product support (since so similar to WHS2011), but they make no mention of it in their product specifications.

I continue to be surprised by the lack of interest or support by Microsoft for their WHS2011 and SBS2011E products. These are products designed to be open to the Internet (using Remote Web Access and port forwarding through broadband routers) which absolutely demands good security practices. Will Microsoft respond?

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 4:10 PM
  • I love replying to my own posts, I guess.

If you do some searches you will find G Data is sadly not ready for prime time.

Echoing JN92 (above) it seems that Symantec is the best bet, even though not entirely supported, for WHS2011. See this thread for the continuing saga: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/what-right-product-windows-home-server-2011-network-consisting-server-and-several-home-office

I have been on a quest for over a year to find a security soluction (a.k.a. antivirus) for Windows Home Server 2011. Still no luck! I can't believe Microsoft is so deaf on this important need.

Friday, April 20, 2012 9:19 PM
  • "Intune is ridiculously expensive. $11 per seat per month."

I think "rediculous" is a bit inaccurate, albeit subjective. However, when you consider you are essentially provided software assurance in additon to the endpoint protection, which is currently outpacing the AV competition, it is a good investment at twice the amount. Software Assurance + Good Protection = a strong ROI and piece of mind. You really can't buy that for the price elsewhere.

However, I am no fanboy despite my MS Partnership. Viper is also a solid solution, though it can be a little angry at times.

Sunday, May 13, 2012 10:58 PM
  • problem with InTune is that it will NOT install on all Windows editions. If your small business buys an OEM computer with pre-installed starter, home or home premium editions, you cannot use Intune. I am not sure about Windows Home Server 2011 (similar to SBS 2011 essentials) since it is a "home" sku, but really is Windows Server 2008 R2 underneath the hood, like SBS2011E.

Monday, May 14, 2012 4:19 PM