none
Installing new motherboard

Question

• I have an HP Pavillion 500 Desktop running Win 8.1 that had an arguement with a lightning bolt and lost. The motherboard was fried and the replacement was over $100, so I opted for a lower price motherboard that still supported the Socket FM2 for the A8-6500 processor. Install went fine and boots to motherboard interface. I can look at the C: drive and read everything that is on it but I am unable to boot the C: drive, or do a restore or reload windows as it tells me the drive is locked. How do I go about unlocking the drive?
    Friday, August 01, 2014 1:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Boot from the Windows 8 DVD > Next > Repair your computer > Troubleshoot> Advanced Options
    > Command Prompt
    > Type - Bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes       (take note of spaces)> Type - exit 

Reboot > select F8 > Safe mode with Networking > Command Prompt (Admin) by right clicking lower left corner when Start pops up. > Type - Bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu no       (take note of spaces)> Type - exit

S.Sengupta, Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

Friday, August 01, 2014 4:48 PM
  • Never mind, my bad. missed a USB connector the MB was not happy abnout so it wouldn't let the HD boot. Fixed it and all is well. Thank you!
    Friday, August 01, 2014 7:17 PM