none
Share recorded TV's

Question

• Background

I have plans to setup an second HTPC (with TV tuners) with Windows Media Center (Windows 7). I do have an Windows Home Server 2011 for storage and backups.

My question

Is it possible to have the TV recordings placed on the server, so both HTPC's will share the same "recorded TVs"?

Can I specify where recorded TV's should be stored?

Sunday, October 06, 2013 8:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can enable sharing on the server, and using the application for TV tuner you can directly save the recording on the shared path.

It will allow you to access the recordings from any network path.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, October 07, 2013 5:04 AM
  • ...so how is this done with Windows Media Center?
    Monday, October 07, 2013 6:57 AM
  • Hi,

This requires that the receiving pc be running Windows 7 (the Media Center should also be running Windows 7 or TV Pack 2008). The first step is to share the folder you record to on the Media Center machine. Typically this is the “Public\Recorded TV” folder which would be shared by default.

If the folder isn’t shared, locate the folder, right-click and select properties. Select the Sharing tab and press Advanced Sharing. Select the “Share this folder” checkbox and assign a name. Before pressing OK be sure that “Everyone” is listed under Permissions. If not, add it now by pressing Add and typing Everyone into the objects box at the bottom.

Once the folder has been shared, you need to add the folder to the library on the receiving computer. This can be done either in Windows Media Player or Media Center.

To add the folder to Recorded TV in WMP, make sure Recorded TV is listed. If it isn’t right-click in the left pane and select Customize Navigation Pane then make sure Recorded TV is selected.

In Media Center select Recorded TV from the start menu then bring up the right-click menu. From the menu select “Manage Libraries” then choose the option to add a folder. Select the option to add a folder from another computer then locate the folder on the next screen. Once you’ve done that let Media Center finish setting up the library.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 3:12 AM
  • Hi,

This requires that the receiving pc be running Windows 7 (the Media Center should also be running Windows 7 or TV Pack 2008). The first step is to share the folder you record to on the Media Center machine. Typically this is the “Public\Recorded TV” folder which would be shared by default.

If the folder isn’t shared, locate the folder, right-click and select properties. Select the Sharing tab and press Advanced Sharing. Select the “Share this folder” checkbox and assign a name. Before pressing OK be sure that “Everyone” is listed under Permissions. If not, add it now by pressing Add and typing Everyone into the objects box at the bottom.

Once the folder has been shared, you need to add the folder to the library on the receiving computer. This can be done either in Windows Media Player or Media Center.

To add the folder to Recorded TV in WMP, make sure Recorded TV is listed. If it isn’t right-click in the left pane and select Customize Navigation Pane then make sure Recorded TV is selected.

In Media Center select Recorded TV from the start menu then bring up the right-click menu. From the menu select “Manage Libraries” then choose the option to add a folder. Select the option to add a folder from another computer then locate the folder on the next screen. Once you’ve done that let Media Center finish setting up the library.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

I do understand how to reach recorded TV/pictures/videos/music etc from an network share. But what I dont understand is how to make my Media Center to store recorded TV's on an network share...

So, I can set up my Windows 7 MCE PC's to store recorded TV's on an networkshare?

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:09 PM
  • You can store the videos you save on  the network share.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 4:39 AM
  • You can store the videos you save on  the network share.

How? Can I set the storage path somewhere?
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 7:47 AM
  • This page describes how to change the storage location, but it seems to require a local drive... no network paths are available...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/set-recording-options-in-windows-media-center

Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:42 PM
  • I suggest that you repost this at the Windows Entertainment and Connected Home forums, there are some Windows Media Center experts there:

http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/114.aspx

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:18 PM