none
Windows Media Player is not installed properly and must be reinstalled

Question

• Hello Rooms,

I have Window 7 Ultimate 32 bit and I installed Window Player version 11 and 12.

When I run the Window Media Player, I received an error of "Window Media Player is not installed properly and must be reinstalled."

Then, I run the Window Media Player as Administratior Window and I still received the same error.

I already tried to turn Window Media Player on and off but it did not help.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks,
    Edwin

Friday, July 23, 2010 1:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to suggest you uninstall Windows Media Player (WMP) 11 and confirm that can WMP 12 work now?

If WMP 12 still cannot work normally, I would like to suggest you disable and re-enable it in Windows Features to reset the WMP components.

Does it work?

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, July 26, 2010 2:18 AM
  • Hi,

It has been a while since my previous suggestions was posted and I'm writing to find out if you have had an opportunity to test my suggestions yet. If you need my further assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Arthur Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by TJEDWIN Wednesday, August 04, 2010 1:50 AM
    Monday, August 02, 2010 1:44 AM

All replies

• Installing WMP 11 on Windows 7 is not supported. You can use System Restore to roll back to a state before you installed WMP 11. If that doesn't help, then you will probably have to do a full Windows reinstall to fix this.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Friday, July 23, 2010 3:10 PM
  • I don't believe this.  Both are Microsoft products. Should Microsoft prodive a work around solution?

Friday, July 23, 2010 4:55 PM
  • I thought that you were blocked from installing Windows Media Player 11?  The Windows Media Player 11 team, which was extant during the Windows Vista product cycle, was not actively working on Windows Media Player 11 during Windows 7 (since they were working on Windows 7's player) and thus WMP11 would not be expected to be compatible with Windows 7.  And isn't.

The solution is Not To Do That.  To install WMP11 on Windows 7 requires stomping on many files that are NOT covered by the Turn Windows Features On or Off player install option that Windows 7 has.  You can potentially use that (TWFOO) in conjunction with "sfc /scannow" (admin tool) to maybe get things limping.  But generally you've borked your system: the error you're getting is very specifically because you hacked your system.

Was there some way in which you thought this was supported?  If you didn't get a block or error, I'd be very interested in knowing about that.

Saturday, July 24, 2010 9:58 AM
  • I don't believe this.  Both are Microsoft products. Should Microsoft prodive a work around solution?

Just want to add that the only supported way to get WMP 11 on Windows 7 is by installing it in XP Mode .

Tim De Baets
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 4:05 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to suggest you uninstall Windows Media Player (WMP) 11 and confirm that can WMP 12 work now?

If WMP 12 still cannot work normally, I would like to suggest you disable and re-enable it in Windows Features to reset the WMP components.

Does it work?

Regards,

Arthur Li

Monday, July 26, 2010 2:18 AM
  • ^-- Note that while I generally fixed doing a "regsvr32 wmp.dll" on WMP, that that's redundant with the use of a Windows Features reinstall and shouldn't be recommended.  RGS was deprecated internally for WMP here back in Vista, and manual DLL registration (calling the RGS) can cause issues.  The RGS is *not* kept in sync with the new MAN.  To use the new MAN, use Windows Features only.  The RGS should *generally* match the MAN, but that's not an area where any investment whatsoever was made.
    Monday, July 26, 2010 6:06 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Arthur Li

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 6:44 AM
  • Hi,

It has been a while since my previous suggestions was posted and I'm writing to find out if you have had an opportunity to test my suggestions yet. If you need my further assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Arthur Li

• Marked as answer by TJEDWIN Wednesday, August 04, 2010 1:50 AM
    Monday, August 02, 2010 1:44 AM
  • Arthur and All,

I am very appreciated your help.  I dicided to reformat my notebook and installed a new Window 7.

The problems are resolved.

Best regards,

Edwin

Wednesday, August 04, 2010 1:50 AM
  •  I would like to suggest you disable and re-enable it in Windows Features to reset the WMP components.
    um i know this is over a year old now but just wondering how you would do that my windows media player started to not respond every time try to play music and i was going to put in disk but that might be easier. my problem started to happen after i tried to play a homemade dvd of my buddies music video. WMP didnt support it so wouldnt play and hasnt worked since. not sure what is wrong
    Monday, August 22, 2011 7:09 AM
  • Hello -

I had this problem with WMP 12 running on Windowws 7 Pro (x86).  What finally worked was this:

Remove and reinstall WMP 12 using the add/remove features

Run Regedit

Navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Setup

delete the "Installed Versions" subkey

Open an Administrative Command Prompt

Change to C:\Windows\System32

run: UNREGMP2.EXE /UPDATEWMPVERSION

WMP opened fine for me after this.

Good Luck!

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:45 PM
  • I run Windows XP SP3 due to a DOS business program that will not work under Windows 7 Professional 64 bit (which I also have on another partition).

I get the error message: Windows Media Player is not installed properly and must be reinstalled. I have uninstalled WMP 11, which rolled it back to WMP 9. Then I receive the same error message. I also tried to use MS Fixit, but received an error message for every option. What is going on here? I have all available Windows Updates. I do not want to reinstall my OS. Please help - thanks. 

Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:23 AM
  • wildbill562: this forum is for Windows 7, so I suggest that you repost in the XP Music and Sound forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-sound

Tim De Baets
    Monday, October 31, 2011 5:00 PM