none
Windows 2008R2 DHCP Server Access is Denied

Question

• I have installed DHCP on three Windows 2008R2 Domain Controllers.

I plan to split scope between two, back up the full scope and restore to the thrid which will be inactive. A little overkill but seems like areasonable solution for disaster recovery purposes.

None of the three can be started! Each responds with several errors including:

Event ID 1003 The DHCP service failed to initialize its registry parameters. The following error occurred: Access is denied. (5)

Event ID 1008 The DHCP service is shutting down due to the following error: Access is denied. (5)

Did a little research and thought it might have to do with permissions on the DHCP directory under C:\Windows\System32 NETWORK SERVICE

I can set permissions there but not above on the C:\Windows or C:\Windows\System32 directories.  (Gave Modify to that folder and all subfolders and files). Still no joy.

Have DHCP running on several other 2008R2 servers that are DC's in the domain. Migrating from a 2003 Clustered DHCP server to a split scope (1 physical, 1 virtual)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I do this cause it pays the bills...
    Friday, August 19, 2011 1:11 PM

Answers

• No, Try setting a different user account see if it works. But have U tried the sfc /scannow command? Do you have any custom NTFS permissions on your drives?

MCTS...
    • Marked as answer by Bimpster Friday, September 02, 2011 11:04 AM
    Friday, August 26, 2011 4:26 PM

All replies

• It appears to me that you have not authorized these DHCP servers as of yet.  You'll need to log in as an Enterprise Administrator, launch the DHCP console, right click the server object, and click Authorize. 

Until a DHCP server is authorized in the domain, the BINL service will shut down the DHCP server service.  This process is to prevent rogue DHCP servers....and yes, I think the third DHCP server is an overkill.

anITKB Visit anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
    facebook Follow me on Facebook.
    Friday, August 19, 2011 1:37 PM
  • Additional Error from Setup Event:

Error 1614 Installation succeeded with errors. Roles: DHCP Server Error: Attempt to configure DHCP Server failed. The DHCP Server service could not be started in a timely manner.

Error is unusual since the account used to install is Enterprise Admin...

Friday, August 19, 2011 1:45 PM
  • see if this article is related to your issues.  Sounds appropriate.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938456/en-us

Friday, August 19, 2011 2:07 PM
  • Will give a shot tonight when I can reboot the server.

Funny how the Servername in the list DHCPRoot is not the same as the name of the current server EDCSG01. Machine was never renamed to my knowledge...

Friday, August 19, 2011 3:34 PM
  • Did not work. even tried it twice. Clearly, the KB was for 2003. These servers are 2008R2.
    Saturday, August 20, 2011 3:22 AM
  • I'll keep investigating...will post if I find something of value.  Hopefully someone else has seen this issue.

Monday, August 22, 2011 8:30 PM
  • I have uninstalled SP1, uninstalled McAfee Enterprise, uninstalled DHCP, deleted the references to the DHCP server using ADSIEDIT.msc, rebooted, still no joy :-(
    Monday, August 22, 2011 10:53 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting here.

Please try to add and grant following permissions for "NT service\DHCPServer" on registry path “HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\DHCPServer” and see how is going:

Query Value

Set Value

Create Subkey

Enumerate Subkeys

For further troubleshooting methods, you might need to download and run Procmon tool .After reproduce this issue , please stop and filter the results to see if  any denied access entry , that should help us narrow down that.

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:54 AM
  • Hi,

Give sfc /scannow a try. Have you considered relocating the DHCP servers. Maybe there is a Domain Controller Policy that prevents certain modifications or has certain restrictions. Try configuring the DHCP on another machine at least for testing and to know it the issue is related to Domain controllers or to the Domain.

Hope it helps

MCTS...
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:47 PM
  • DHCP is currently installed on a 2003 cluster for our main office and on three 2008R2 DC's in remote locations. The idea is to house DHCP service directly on the DC's (Close to DNS) and split the scope (1 Physical, 1 Virtual). We've run into issues because our current DHCP cluster is on a pair of VM servers SAN connected. When doing maint on the SAN, (Not often but at least once a year down for Battery Maintenance "dark room") the DHCP server must be taken down and will not provide. Servers might not depend on DHCP server but all our management workstations do in one way or another. By having DHCP on at least one physical DC that can be brought up before SAN and ESX, this will reduce our downtime by allowing better response time.

I am using the Enterprise Admin (Parent Domain Administrator) account to install and configure DHCP. Rights should not be an issue.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 2:10 PM
  • Hi,

Event ID 1003 The DHCP service failed to initialize its registry parameters. The following error occurred: Access is denied. (5)

Event ID 1008 The DHCP service is shutting down due to the following error: Access is denied. (5)

Both errors mention access denied. What logon account is used for DHCP Server Service? Does it have the required permissions? Try logging this service unig a different account.

Hope it helps.

MCTS...
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 3:39 PM
  • ENTERPRISE ADMINISTRATOR
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 5:16 PM
  • By default it should be network service. Can you set that up instead of Enterprise admin?
    Sorry if Ihaven't made myself understood. I ment going to services, going to the DHCP Server Service, Properties, Log On ,
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:37 PM
  • The "Log On As" in is set to "Network Service". Should it be something different?
    Friday, August 26, 2011 4:21 PM
  • No, Try setting a different user account see if it works. But have U tried the sfc /scannow command? Do you have any custom NTFS permissions on your drives?

MCTS...
    • Marked as answer by Bimpster Friday, September 02, 2011 11:04 AM
    Friday, August 26, 2011 4:26 PM
  • Are the DHCP dependencies started:

• Service Controller
    • Global parameters initialization
    • Registry parameters initialization
    • RPC server start
    • Winsock data initialization

?

MCTS...
    Friday, August 26, 2011 4:38 PM
  • Configured service to start as "System" as opposed to "Network" and service took off running.
    Friday, September 02, 2011 11:03 AM
  • Glad to hear it worked out for you!
    MCTS...
    Friday, September 02, 2011 11:31 AM
  • I know this case is resolved, but I had the same error message and found an incorrect backup location had been specified within DHCP. The next time the server was rebooted DHCP failed to start. To resolve the issue use Regedit to revert the backup folder back to its original location. HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\DHCPServer\Paremeters then reset the "BackupDatabasePath to "C:\Windows\system32\dhcp\backup".
    • Edited by Nathan Burt Friday, December 13, 2013 3:27 PM
    Friday, December 13, 2013 3:24 PM