none
Force MDT Task Sequence to Stop/Exit/Fail on App install failure

Question

• Hey all,

I have deployment that installs many applications, most of which are wrapped in PowerShell scripts.  If there's any errors in the script I exit with some number other than 0 or 3010, usually odd integers (1,3,5,etc).  My problem is that when an (any) app install fails, the task sequence continues on until the end, then reports all the "errors" with a yellow Finish summary page.  None of these apps are marked "continue on exit".

I want a failed application install to immediately halt and exit the Task sequence, specifically with a red summary screen if possible.  I haven't been able to find any info on this anywhere else online, so I figured I'd ask a bunch of way smarter people.

Thanks all!

Friday, December 13, 2013 7:59 PM

Answers

• Yes, the behavior you see above is by design.

More recent builds of MDT have a property called ApplicationSuccessCodes, where you can define a space delimited list of exit codes that are allowed for installation.

I would not do this however, instead write your powershell script to return a "exit 0" upon success.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Friday, December 13, 2013 10:58 PM

All replies

• Are you calling the scripts using a Run PowerShell Script task or have you made them MDT applications?

-Nick O.

Friday, December 13, 2013 8:38 PM
  • They are actual MDT "Applications".  The command line is "Powershell.exe -File ScriptName.ps1".

Edit: I totally forgot to specify in the original post, but this is MDT 2010.

• Edited by JT_Dominos Friday, December 13, 2013 9:47 PM
    Friday, December 13, 2013 9:46 PM
  • Yes, the behavior you see above is by design.

More recent builds of MDT have a property called ApplicationSuccessCodes, where you can define a space delimited list of exit codes that are allowed for installation.

I would not do this however, instead write your powershell script to return a "exit 0" upon success.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Friday, December 13, 2013 10:58 PM