none
is it possible to attach sql database to share point ?

General discussion

• hello everyone,

i have an external sql database where i have all the records of the employees in my company. my first question is how can i attach it to share point ? 

we conduct various online activities in our company and from this year onwards we have decided to give virtual points to our employees when they participate in any of these events. 

for example suppose an employee participate in an event , he will get 1000 EP's i.e ethical points ...if he participates in another event, he will get lets say 5000 EP's so on so forth..so his total EP's are 6000.

now, what i want to do is, I have an external sql database where i have all the details of employee's  participation and i want to display his ethical points dynamically on the content editor when he visits the site..points will increase  dynamically if i make changes into external SQL database.

is it possible to do so ? any kind of  help is much appreciated !

thanx in advance :)

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 10:32 AM

All replies

• There is no direct way to do this. Two options

1. Create a custom webpart which will connect to the database and read the value and display if in the required format
    2. Using BCS create an external list out of a SQL view. and filter the view based on the current logged in user.

A.m.a.L Hashim
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
    My Blog - Dot Net Goodies

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 10:37 AM
  • My SQL database may contain many other fields along with virtual points of the employee but i only want to display certain records to him..is it possible to do so ? also , can i display this on the Content editor web part  which will dynamically change if the data inside the external database changes?
    Wednesday, October 09, 2013 11:08 AM
  • Content editor webpart is out of question. As i said your only option is either use a custom webpart or use BCS.

In case of BCS you can create a SQL view with whatever fields you want to display.

Then create an external list and filter the list view to show only relevant records.

A.m.a.L Hashim
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
    My Blog - Dot Net Goodies

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 11:12 AM
  • thanks mate , that helped !
    Wednesday, October 09, 2013 11:43 AM