none
How do I shut off web services in 2003 Server?

Question

• Hello,

I used to host my own site on this server but moved it to another host.  I still use Exchange server for my email.  I want to stop the services that run the web site but keep everything else going.  What services do I need to stop?  OR, is there more to it then just stopping the services for the web?  Is this something I can do from IIS manager or from the management console?

Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 12:29 AM

Answers

• Hi

No, you need to correct the DNS's pointing to the new website :)

It's still pointing to your Exchange's box, while it should ping a external's address.

Like www.somesite.com should ping a external's IP, not your Exchange's box IP.

To be sure, you don't need to close IIS, you just remove the website you hosted from the IIS manager, but keep all virtual directory Exchange configured there.

Even if you close the IIS or remove the virtual website, the computer will still be pointed to the box, thus will give 404 - Not found error anyway. So you need to correct the DNS

Regards, Philippe

• Marked as answer by JDTurnover Tuesday, January 07, 2014 12:53 PM
    Tuesday, January 07, 2014 2:52 AM

All replies

• you can remove the iis role but server 2003 is nearing the end of the road now

Corsair Carbide 300R with window
    Corsair TX850V2 70A@12V
    Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 CFX/SLI
    AMD Phenom II 965 C3 Black Edition @ 4.0 GHz
    G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133 8 GB
    EVGA GTX 6600 Ti FTW Signature 2(Gk104 Kepler)
    Asus PA238QR IPS LED HDMI DP 1080p
    ST2000DM001 & Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64
    Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000
    Wacom Bamboo CHT470M
    Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier to understand!

Hardcore Games Legendary is the Only Way to Play!

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 12:37 AM
  • I hear you.  But, to be clear, will stopping IIS also stop Exchange server on that same box?
    Tuesday, January 07, 2014 12:59 AM
  • Hi, I would not do that. Just block the port in the firewall. IIS is tied to Exchange.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320202/en-us (How to remove and to reinstall IIS on a computer that is running Exchange Server)

If you have to reinstall IIS on the server that is also running Exchange 2000   Server or Exchange Server 2003, you have to reinstall Exchange Server at the   same time. Do this to restore links to IIS that provide Simple Mail Transfer Protocol   (SMTP) and Outlook Web Access  functionality.

If you have to reinstall IIS on a  computer that running  Exchange Server 2007, you must also reinstall Exchange 2007. This is  to restore links to IIS that  provide Outlook Web Access functionality together with other Exchange-related Web services such as the Availability service.

In big, on exchange 2003 it break the SMTP & Exchange 2007 it break the autodiscover and such. On 2010 or later it's more used (for the ecp, so I would not even think to do that)

Regards, Philippe

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 2:20 AM
  • That's helpful.  Thanks.

Here's the snag.  Inside the firewall, the PCs see the old website not the one that is now hosted off site.  I just need to get that site down (and off) so that this does not occur anymore.  The machines inside the firewall should see the externally hosted site not the old one.  The only thing I can think of is that the server is taking a dominant role inside so the services need to be shut down. 

I'm with you.  I don't want IIS to be shut down because I do realize the connection to other services.  So, the web server (on my box) should be disabled; leaving the rest in tact, right?

• Edited by JDTurnover Tuesday, January 07, 2014 2:30 AM
    Tuesday, January 07, 2014 2:30 AM
  • Hi

No, you need to correct the DNS's pointing to the new website :)

It's still pointing to your Exchange's box, while it should ping a external's address.

Like www.somesite.com should ping a external's IP, not your Exchange's box IP.

To be sure, you don't need to close IIS, you just remove the website you hosted from the IIS manager, but keep all virtual directory Exchange configured there.

Even if you close the IIS or remove the virtual website, the computer will still be pointed to the box, thus will give 404 - Not found error anyway. So you need to correct the DNS

Regards, Philippe

• Marked as answer by JDTurnover Tuesday, January 07, 2014 12:53 PM
    Tuesday, January 07, 2014 2:52 AM
  • Thank you.  That clicks.  I get it.  It has been a while since I've done anything on this network so I am a little foggy about what to do on there.  That's what I needed.  I appreciate it!
    Tuesday, January 07, 2014 12:53 PM