none
How hard is it to move two FE servers out of a EE Pool and move them into two SE Pools

Question

• Here is my situation. I have a single EE pool with two FE servers. After giving it some thought, I should have created two SE Pools, one in each of our two Sites and used Pool pairing so I can have DR. On top of that, because I have a SE Pool, I can collocate the Persistent Chat server on one of the SE servers.

Kicking myself now for doing it the way I did. How hard would it be to move those two servers out of the EE pool and into the SE pools? One server in each Pool? I know you can move one server out of a Pool without that much trouble but when you try and move the only one left, you can't because it says the pool must have at least one member and you can't delete the pool because it still has a server so what then?

I know this seems like a lot of work but we want to install Persistent Chat and apparently it cannot be collocated on an EE Pool server so that means standing up yet another Lync 2013 server just for Persistent Chat. If I also want DR, its yet another server in our DR Site in a separate EE Pool to do pool pairing so that means 4 servers. Oh, woe is me....:-(

If you can't answer the above, can someone confirm this would be OK. Creating two new Standard Edition Pools with new servers, one Standard Edition server in each Pool. Create a Pool pair for DR purposes. Use a local database on each FE instead of SQL and install Persistent Chat on one of the FE servers and use a local database for that also. Then, when that is all complete, just decommission the EE Pool completely and uninstall Lync on the servers.
    • Edited by shadowtuck Wednesday, December 25, 2013 12:29 AM
    Tuesday, December 24, 2013 11:17 PM

Answers

• Oh it does block you, give it a try...  You will get the red X with a hover warning: "FQDN is already in use in this topology" on the Define New Persistent Chat Pool wizard.

You should run 3 servers for HA so you'll need 3 Windows licenses, 3 Lync licenses just for the Front Ends, then you need to license the backend. Min 3 Windows licenses and two SQL Server licenses (SQL Witness can be express).

Thursday, December 26, 2013 3:54 PM

All replies

• You can not change an EE server to SE, you will need to stand up a new SE server migrate users, CMS and decommission the EE servers/pool . You are correct with: " Creating two new Standard Edition Pools with new servers, one Standard Edition server in each Pool. Create a Pool pair for DR purposes."

Follow the TechNet article for removing the Enterprise Pool: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg195767(v=ocs.14).aspx

With Persistent Chat you will have to create a stretched pool between the two SE servers as Paired pool (HA/DR) for Persistent Chat is not supported on Standard Edition:

"We do not support high availability for Persistent Chat Server Standard Edition. Performance and scale will be limited. Furthermore, we support only new Persistent Chat Server Standard Edition server. We do not support upgrading Lync Server 2010, Group Chat Server to a Lync Server 2013 Persistent Chat Server Standard Edition." - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj205357.aspx

Stretched Persistent Chat pool for DR: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj205007.aspx

• Proposed as answer by BenDonaldson Thursday, December 26, 2013 9:28 PM
    Wednesday, December 25, 2013 6:20 AM
  • Hi,

For Lync Server 2013 Enterprise Edition:

You cannot collocated with the Enterprise Edition Front End Servers, you need to create a new pool to deploy persistent chat server and in the pool you need a separate Lync server for the Persistent Chat server. If you want to deploy DR for Persistent Chat servers, you can deploy two Persistent Chat Servers in the pool and use a stretched Persistent Chat Server Pool for DR.

It is recommended that you install the PersistentChatStore on a dedicated SQL Server Back End Server, although collocating Lync Server 2013 Back End Server and PersistentChatStore on the same SQL Server instance is supported.

For Lync Server 2013 Standard Edition:

The Persistent Chat Server can collocated on the Standard Edition computer. You cannot make DR for Persistent Chat Server Standard edition.

The Persistent Chat Server Back End Server and the Persistent Chat Compliance database can be collocated on the Standard Edition server on the local SQL Server Express Back End Server.

Best Regards,

Eason Huang

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 9:21 AM
  • Thanks for the info. Kind of what I suspected. However, with Standard Edition and Pool pairing, if you lose one sever, the failover process is a manual one, correct? And, you really don't have HA but you gain DR.

In our current configuration with two servers in an Enterprise Pool, if one goes down, users are moved over to the other server automatically. This is why I went with EE to begin with. Its when I found out how many servers it would take to implement a DR solution with EE that I started regretting it, but DR is not important to us at this time. Right now, HA and Persistent Chat are.

Any particular reason why MS will not let you collocate Persistent Chat on an EE FE server. Its a Lync server under the hood regardless of the Pool settings. Is it because of the automatic failure?

Lastly, when is the next version of Lync supposed to come out?

• Edited by shadowtuck Thursday, December 26, 2013 2:10 AM
    Wednesday, December 25, 2013 4:00 PM
  • With SE the failover is manual and no HA.

With EE you should have 3 servers in the pool instead of 2 for HA.: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg412996.aspx

"We do not recommend deploying a Front End pool that contains only two Front End Servers. If you do ever need to deploy such a pool, follow these guidelines..."

MS doesn't state why you can't collocated pChat on EE and hard coded into the Topology builder to not allow it.

No published information on when the next version of Lync will be released.

Thursday, December 26, 2013 6:27 AM
  • Not sure about TB not allowing it. I read in a TechNet article that TB will allow you, or not specifically block you from collocating PC with an EE FE server but they just don't support. it. If you are not going to support something, they should say why. Maybe it's a feature that PC interferes with that we will never use and for us its OK.

What it boils down to is if you want HA, you need an EE Pool so that means another server license for PC.

Thursday, December 26, 2013 1:06 PM
  • Oh it does block you, give it a try...  You will get the red X with a hover warning: "FQDN is already in use in this topology" on the Define New Persistent Chat Pool wizard.

You should run 3 servers for HA so you'll need 3 Windows licenses, 3 Lync licenses just for the Front Ends, then you need to license the backend. Min 3 Windows licenses and two SQL Server licenses (SQL Witness can be express).

Thursday, December 26, 2013 3:54 PM