none
Am I missing anything?

Question

• I work for a small business and we use the server to allow our customers to connect via RDS and run a custom application.  We have been testing this from our office over the last month and everything works great.  We are now ready to put our server (2008 R2 Enterprise) into a data center (colocation).  I do not have Active Directory installed on this server.  We are in the process of purchasing a EC Server License and and EC RDS License, which will give us unlimited connections.  

Am I missing anything??  will not having active directory installed cause me any problems?

Thanks,

Kevin

Saturday, January 18, 2014 3:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my research, if you use AD in RDS, it's easy to manage in a large environment and you can use domain accounts to RDP into the server. However, you can also use local user accounts of the server to RDP into the server if you don't install AD.

Best regards,

Susie

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 5:03 AM

All replies

• Make use of Hyper-V. You are allowed to use four VM. One VM can play the role of DC. Be aware that four VM means that host can be used for VMs management.

Regards

Milos

Saturday, January 18, 2014 7:27 PM
  • I've never used Hyper-V, but will read up on it.  I guess my question is 3 months from now am I gonna be wishing I had installed Active Directory.  I see some benefits of AD, but didn't see my server as a "domain" per say.
    Sunday, January 19, 2014 7:41 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my research, if you use AD in RDS, it's easy to manage in a large environment and you can use domain accounts to RDP into the server. However, you can also use local user accounts of the server to RDP into the server if you don't install AD.

Best regards,

Susie

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 5:03 AM