Windows 8 CP Install on AMD RAID/AHCI Hardware Bluescreen (amdsbs.sys)

Question

• Has anybody managed to get Windows 8 CP installed on an AMD SB850 based motherboard using RAID?

My system frowny faces/bluescreens straight after clicking install but before I get to pick partitions, etc.

I tried using the "repair" option and trying to install Windows 7 Raid Drivers, no success.

Thanks guys.

Friday, March 02, 2012 9:44 PM

Answers

• All Fixed :)

Performed the following:
    Dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:D:\install.wim /Name:"Windows 8 Consumer Preview" /MountDir:D:\mount (mount install.wim to local directory)

Use the Windows Search Feature and Search for "amdsbs"

Replace all amdsbs.sys files with the version from the Development Preview (you will need to change permissions/take ownership of files:
    MountDir\Windows\System32\Drivers
    MountDir\Windows\Winsxs
    MountDir\Windows\System32\Driverstore\FileRepository

Dism /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:D:\Mount /Commit (I had to kill explorer.exe to do this as it kept locking the file)

Did this for both Install.wim and Boot.wim, no bluescreen on AMD RAID/AHCI now.

• Marked as answer by deadlast Monday, March 05, 2012 8:07 AM
    • Edited by deadlast Monday, March 05, 2012 8:08 AM
    Monday, March 05, 2012 8:04 AM

All replies

• Found a thread with a fix, just trying to find a way to accomplish it.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/installing-windows-8-consumer-preview-getting/d3d865ae-46ac-45ba-a104-210c78852db0

I'm mounted the install.wim using DISM, but can't find a way to replace the abmsbs.inf/sys files just yet.  Found you can't remove default drivers from an install.wim.

Friday, March 02, 2012 10:37 PM
  • I ended up mounting the install.WIM file using DISM, then replacing all instances of amdsbs.sys.  This did not correct this issue.

Today I have mounted the boot.WIM file and updated all instances of amdsbs.sys, will try this tonight and see what happens.

Has anybody else got any help info/alternate solution to this issue?

Thanks
    Monday, March 05, 2012 4:10 AM
  • All Fixed :)

Performed the following:
    Dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:D:\install.wim /Name:"Windows 8 Consumer Preview" /MountDir:D:\mount (mount install.wim to local directory)

Use the Windows Search Feature and Search for "amdsbs"

Replace all amdsbs.sys files with the version from the Development Preview (you will need to change permissions/take ownership of files:
    MountDir\Windows\System32\Drivers
    MountDir\Windows\Winsxs
    MountDir\Windows\System32\Driverstore\FileRepository

Dism /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:D:\Mount /Commit (I had to kill explorer.exe to do this as it kept locking the file)

Did this for both Install.wim and Boot.wim, no bluescreen on AMD RAID/AHCI now.

• Marked as answer by deadlast Monday, March 05, 2012 8:07 AM
    • Edited by deadlast Monday, March 05, 2012 8:08 AM
    Monday, March 05, 2012 8:04 AM
  • Hey,

I have this error but am totally confused.

I have an SSD as well as a RAID 1 set up (physically 3 drives).
    On my mobo I have the AMD SB850.

To have this run I have my bios set to RAID.

I installed Win8 on my SSD and it ran perfectly for about 2 weeks... No hassles what so ever!

Then all of a sudden I was shutting down my Win7 (also on SSD (Duel boot)) and I got a BSOD due to hd errors on my raid set up (I am aware of this and solving) But since then I havent been able to use WinFish (8) while in RAID mode. I boot and instantly get the driver_irql_not_less_or_equal amdsbs.sys SFOD (Sad Face of Death). I even now get this when I boot off the disk! Ive formated off WinFish (8) and restored the Win7 BCD,

I don't get this at all! If it is a driver issue how did it work in the past?! I had no problems at all!

I also don't understand why the disk will Blue Screen.

If I change to IDE mode it will work fine,

I'm just so confused!

I tried the method above but I have no access to the Developers Preview drivers. If anyone can link these I would be very appreciative. If anyone can also explain to me what happened! I thought I understood computer but this one has got me so bad.

Thanks,

RMWoods.

Thursday, April 05, 2012 6:07 AM
  • It seems Release Preview STILL has the same problem. AHCI mode works fine, but RAID mode does not. However, I can't boot with my external storage device connected when in AHCI mode.
    Saturday, June 02, 2012 10:03 AM
  • I don't know if it helps any, but I did install Windows 8 x64, both CP and RP, on the newer AMD Hudson D3 APU chipset while having RAID enabled in the UEFI BIOS.

Not only that but I did it on a RAID 1 mirror as a GPT disk.  This machine is dual boot with Windows 7.  Before I installed either, I configured, partitioned and formatted the mirror using WinPE from the Install media.  I might have had to load a driver in WinPE, but I had taken care of that by including a folder with the install drivers in it.

I used diskpart to clean and convert the "disk" gpt.  I created the EFI partition and formatted it with fat32.  Then I created and formatted with ntfs two smaller data partitions for my Windows versions and the rest in an additional data partition.  I installed Windows 7 and then Windows 8 RP.  I was able to boot and use either OS from the Windows 8 Boot Manager, but I had to use bcdedit a lot to get it the way I wanted.

The Windows 8 installer makes it harder to get to the WinPE command prompt but you can get there from "Troubleshooting".  When I tried to upgrade CP to RP it told me I could not keep any files, programs or settings but that it would put everything in Windows.old.  I let it continue with a fresh install of the CP on the same partition.  I can still boot Windows 7 or the Windows 8 CP.  I just cannot use Windows 7 because of a display corruption problem in the AMD driver.

Monday, June 04, 2012 5:01 AM
  • It seems funny when I search on a new problem and find my own post.

I tried to update the same machine to boot from a SSD, but use the same RAID mirror for data.  Windows 7 works fine since I fixed the display corruption.  I get a WEI of 6.9.

Windows 8 x64 RP on the other hand has caused me much distress.  I can't run it, not even safe mode, without a BSOD.  I get either IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, always in amdsbs.sys.

On a different Windows 8 system, working on AMD Hudson D2, I have found some clues.  The AMD RAID driver, ahcix64s, is installed with BOOT_START.  Amdsbs has been changed from 0 BOOT_START to 3 DEMAND_START. This has been done by adding the subkey StartOverride, with value "0" = 0x3, under HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Services\amdsbs.  This is done instead of "Start" being changed to 0x3.  I do not know if I can change the registry of the problem system to produce the desired result, but it is worth a try.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\amdsbs\StartOverride]
    "0"=dword:00000003

The other thing is that on the working system I am using the chipset drivers that came with the motherboard instead of the latest from AMD.

• Edited by Brian Borg Monday, August 13, 2012 3:59 AM
    Sunday, August 05, 2012 3:11 AM
  • I can say the bug is still present in Win8/2012 RTM. (Installing to SSD in Raid mode on AMD SB850)
    Sunday, August 05, 2012 7:18 AM
  • I get this BSOD in amdsbs.

I have Win8 x64 RTM installed on a partition of a raid zero drive. (2 Samsung 1TB's spinners)

Asus Crosshair IV motherboard. 1090T CPU. Tripple boot.

I only started getting this BS wihen I took out my OCZ Vertex 1(1.3FW) SSD and replaced it with a Kingston Hper X SSD.

Replaced the Kingston with a Samsung 830 SSD and still blues. I even got the BSOD when the Kingston was connected to a USB 3.0 dock.

I can unplug the Sammy SSD and Win8 is fine.

Or I can reinstall the Vertex and Win 8 is fine. Something about the new SSD's that the windows 8 AMD driver doesn't like?

Anyone know of any fixes?

Monday, August 13, 2012 1:16 AM
  • Oh, so the amdsbs.sys file from the CP fixes this BSOD?

Anyone have this laying around? Or know where I can get it?

Do I need the admin kit to mount the wim?

Monday, August 13, 2012 1:34 AM
  • Oh yeah! Found a amdsbs.sys from the CP on web. Booted to win7, took ownership, and replaced 3 instances of amdsbs.sys on the win8 drive, rebooted and no BSOD with a Samsung 830 SSD installed.
    Monday, August 13, 2012 2:06 AM
  • Made a mistake. Driver is not from the CP (consumer preview), its from the DP (developer preview).

I got it from here:

www.windows8tricks.net/2011/12/windows-8-x64-system-files/

• Edited by Dixon Butz Monday, August 13, 2012 2:16 AM
    Monday, August 13, 2012 2:15 AM
  • You can use 7zip to pull files from a .wim file.  The amdsbs.sys in the Consumer Preview is 3.7.1540.27 while the version in the Release Preview is 3.7.1540.30.  The latest amdsbs.sys in Windows 7 is 3.6.1540.127.

I am still beating my head against this on my AMD A75 (Hudson D3) system.  I want to get Windows 8 x64 to boot from an SSD but be able to use the mirror that is also mounted.  Windows 7 x64 can do this with no problems.  My latest fresh install still chokes on amdsbs.sys.  Next I will try some substitution.

Monday, August 13, 2012 4:12 AM
  • I have been playing with replacing amdsbs.  I extracted everything I could find that seemed related to amdsbs from the install.wim for the Consumer Preview.  They included:

inf\amdsbs.inf
    inf\amdsbs.PNF
    System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\amdsbs.inf_amd64_bc052695a65f7665\
    System32\DriverStore\en_US\AMDSBS.inf_loc
    System32\Drivers\amdsbs.sys
    WinSxS\amd64_amdsbs.inf.resources_bc052695a65f7665_6.2.8250.0_en-us_aebf2b07c3996240\
    WinSxS\amd64_amdsbs.inf_bc052695a65f7665_6.2.8250.0_none_49d4a471734963c4\
    WinSxS\Manifests\amd64_amdsbs.inf*

My first attempt came up with INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.  So I looked at the registry.  I tried modifying the entries related to amdsbs, but even though I added HKLM\System\DriverDataBase\DriverPackages\amd64_amdsbs.inf_bc052695a65f7665 and changed the settings in HKLM\System\DriverDataBase\DriverInfFiles\amdsbs.inf to match the replacement amd64_amdsbs.inf_bc052695a65f7665, it came up with UNABLE_TO_VERIFY_DRIVER_SIGNATURE, or something like that.  I either missed something or I don't really know what I am doing.  Probably the latter.

Oh well.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:34 AM
  • Although this was a while back, I found an easier method and thought I'd share for anyone else who finds this as a search result for their problem:

http://the-inter-not.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/windows-8-amd-raid-and-bsod.html

Cheers!

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:07 PM