R2 Installation hangs at 84% "Getting devices ready"

Question

• Hi - I'm trying to clean install WSE2012 R2 Preview on the same hardware that I previously installed WSE 2012 on (an HP Microserver N40L)

But, the install hangs with the new Fish background, and a spinner at 84% "Getting devices ready" 
    I've tried restarting the installation, but can't get past 84% - any ideas ?

-Tom

I'm now re-installing WSE2012, to see if an upgrade-install to R2 will work

*Update #1*

Reinstalled WSE2012 - Ok
    Ran Upgrade-type Setup (which installed a fresh copy Windows), but this also stopped at the 84% mark

*Update #2*

Tried installing Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 Preview, but that stops at 84% also

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 2:57 PM

Answers

• install successful on hpmicro when Embedded Ethernet card is disable

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10:14 AM
  • Ok, I've got WSE2012 R2 to install by disabling the nic and then enabling the nic later-on

But I had to give up on Hyper-V 2012 R2 - I tried the same disable/enable nic process, and got Hyper-V 2012 R2 to install ok, but when I then tried to load the nic drivers using PnPutil -i -a D:\b57nd60a.inf, it got as far as saying "Processing inf" but never completed (I gave it 1/2 hour)

Friday, June 28, 2013 11:21 AM
  • Ok - had enough of this, I've disabled the Broadcom nic forever, and installed another nic - a Startech ST1000SPEXD2 - (Realteck chipset) - unfortunately my remote access card had to go (due to lack of slots), but at least 2012 R2 Essentials has (working) in-box drivers for this nic, and I've now joined the party !

Saturday, July 06, 2013 6:59 PM

All replies

• same hardware (hp microserver) and same problem :(

stops at 84% also

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 9:14 AM
  • Sorry, can't help, but just to report same experience here but with Server 2012 R2 Preview and on at N36L, so possibly this is related to some kind of hardware common to both devices in the HP MicroServer family.  I hit the same 84% hang when doing an upgrade from Server 2012, but when I did a fresh install (booting from a USB-mounted ISO) it hung at 4% instead.

I've had a quick look at the log files from the most recent setup, and oddly enough it seems to be taking a massive amount of time to install each driver (5-6 minutes).  So I'd left it at 10-15 minutes at the 4% mark and it had installed two drivers in that time.  Makes me wonder if I just leave it for hours if it will eventually complete, so that's what I'm trying now.

Mike

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 9:50 AM
  • i think it's  broadcom prolem : \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\bxfcoe.sys

Try to disable embeded eth card in the bios

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10:01 AM
  • install successful on hpmicro when Embedded Ethernet card is disable

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10:14 AM
  • Likewise, thanks.  I'd wondered the same thing because the early drivers it was hitting in the setup log were all network-related.
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10:29 AM
  • Thanks for the hint - but (if it won't install), how do you get to the Setup Logs ?

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 7:44 PM
  • If you re-run setup then whilst within the GUI portion of setup you can press SHIFT-F10 to get to a command prompt, at which point you can get to logs etc.
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10:13 PM
  • Ok, I've got WSE2012 R2 to install by disabling the nic and then enabling the nic later-on

But I had to give up on Hyper-V 2012 R2 - I tried the same disable/enable nic process, and got Hyper-V 2012 R2 to install ok, but when I then tried to load the nic drivers using PnPutil -i -a D:\b57nd60a.inf, it got as far as saying "Processing inf" but never completed (I gave it 1/2 hour)

Friday, June 28, 2013 11:21 AM
  • Same happens on N36L with both Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2.

As soon as Windows Updates get installed the next reboot hangs up again.

LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home and Small Business Server http://www.homeserversoftware.com

Friday, June 28, 2013 2:29 PM
  • I have installed with ethernet disabled, but now when i re enable the ethernet server 2012 does not boot (gets stuck with Fish and circle on screen) - and it wont allow me to install the driver without the ethernet enabled???

Any ideas

Saturday, June 29, 2013 7:23 AM

After setting up the partition for the OS to install to get to the command line using SHFT+F10. Make sure the HP NIC driver is _on_ the USB flash drive being used to install from.

Run the NIC Driver Installer via the command line (might take a few tries depending on the timing) just prior to hitting that 84% mark.

If it is sitting there for a while it should be thinking about the various drivers it can try.

Hopefully that gets you past this mark with NICs enabled.

Philip

Philip Elder SBS MVP Blog: http://blog.mpecsinc.ca

Saturday, June 29, 2013 5:47 PM
  • I had limited success. instead of disabling the nic in the BIOS, I booted into SAFE MODE using F8. This bypasses the nic check. Then I installed the drivers into the C:\windows\system32\drivers folder after a reboot, it installed the drivers.

However, even though the nic is installed, I get a red x saying I cannot connect to the internet.

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 1:12 PM
  • I found a (Windows 2012) driver on the Broadcom site:
    http://www.broadcom.com/support/license.php?file=570x/win_b57_x64-15.6.0.10.zip

Loading this driver instead of using the in-box driver (or HP's driver), when you get to the bit where you decide where to install WS2012 R2 to, gets setup past the 84%

Unfortunately later-on (after setting-up the admin & non-admin users), during server-manager's configuring of the server, it suddenly complained that there was no internet connection - so I guess it's trying to load that in-box driver again {:>((

-Tom

Thursday, July 04, 2013 1:06 PM
  • Ok - had enough of this, I've disabled the Broadcom nic forever, and installed another nic - a Startech ST1000SPEXD2 - (Realteck chipset) - unfortunately my remote access card had to go (due to lack of slots), but at least 2012 R2 Essentials has (working) in-box drivers for this nic, and I've now joined the party !

Saturday, July 06, 2013 6:59 PM
  • i think that RTM build have same bug...
    Friday, August 30, 2013 9:49 PM
  • Same sounding issue for R2 RTM released last night, sticking at 82%, was going to try some BIOS tweaks but then occurred to me to have a Google and first result... HP Microserver N36L. Was thinking of a couple of NC112T cards anyway, this is my physical DC for my considerable home lab, the 112's are cheap on ebay so worth picking a couple up to get things running. My other N40L has a couple of NC112T's in. This is the first 2012 issue I've hit driver-wise, but not tried R2 on any of my G5 kit yet (DL360's and 380's).

Hoping it's OK from here on in... :-)

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 11:53 AM
  • i think that RTM build have same bug...

Yes, it appears so.
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:51 PM
  • So did disabling internal nic solves your Problem also with RTM?

Facing the same Problem here with the N40L and RTM 2012 R2 hanging at 70% installing devices.

Thomas

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:21 AM
  • Yes, disabling the NIC solves the issue. I added a cheap low profile PCI NIC and that works well.

LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home and Small Business Server http://www.homeserversoftware.com

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:27 AM
  • So did disabling internal nic solves your Problem also with RTM?

Facing the same Problem here with the N40L and RTM 2012 R2 hanging at 70% installing devices.

Thomas

Someone on a different forum posted this HP document, which documents this issue on page 10:

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx%2F4AA4-7658ENW.pdf?aid=38293&pbid=TnL5HPStwNw&aoid=35252&siteid=TnL5HPStwNw-ySKMMCUaDCZv2n9FoIi1qQ

Good to know that HP is aware of the issue and is working with Microsoft on a fix.  Too bad it didn't make it into the RTM build. :(

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 5:11 PM
  • Thanks.  Don't forget that it isn't officially "released" yet other than TechNet and MSDN early visibility and release to OEM.  By the time it launches next month it's possible that a fix will be here.  But yes, it's a shame that it's not already in the RTM build.
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:35 PM
  • Same issue with the N40L. Disabling the NIC does allow me to boot and get up and running. Unfortunately, i only have an old Wireless adapter to get it online. No updates on WU and i can't the machine to boot after installing any drivers and enabling the NIC. Looks like i'm off to pick up a new NIC because this will not do for a month (assuming they have a fix at GA; unlikely).
    • Edited by Craig Treasure Sunday, September 15, 2013 4:39 AM correction
    Saturday, September 14, 2013 10:43 PM
  • In my experiments with the N40L, I successfully installed the drivers, but the network connection -"Network cable unplugged"

I have two hardware event's from "Device Manager - HP NC107i PCIe Gigabit Server Adapter"

1. Driver Management concluded the process to install driver b57nd60a.inf_amd64_0f353841560bd5c3\b57nd60a.inf for Device Instance ID PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_165B&SUBSYS_705D103C&REV_10\E83935FFFEEA43DE00 with the following status: 0x0.
    2. Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service q57nd60a for Device Instance ID PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_165B&SUBSYS_705D103C&REV_10\E83935FFFEEA43DE00 with the following status: 0.

• Edited by SolenoidMVP Sunday, September 22, 2013 8:31 PM
    Sunday, September 22, 2013 7:50 PM
  • Same Problem here with N40L and german source downloaded from MSDN September 30
    Wednesday, October 02, 2013 8:51 AM
  • Same here:

After installation of the Windows Server 2012 R2, the Microserver halts when displaying the message “Devices getting ready 84%” and becomes unresponsive

No fix since June?

Disabling the NIC does allow me to boot...

Friday, October 04, 2013 10:32 PM
  • Yeah I just tried to install & it did the same thing.
    When I re-installed the second time, I disabled the NIC the first time the server reset (thats when it was just finishing up the installation) after this it resets again (this is where it usually hangs on 84%) went through fine once it completes this it will reset again, I enabled the NIC at this stage which loaded up successfully in Windows Server 2012 R2 RTM but with no internet connection =/

After resetting it the server hangs when trying to boot up, when the NIC is disabled it works fine but not as a server =P

Pepsi-Josh

Saturday, October 05, 2013 10:41 PM
  • Still waiting and hoping for a patch soon. Using USB to Ethernet now and would love to get back to using full speeds since the dongle is only 10/100.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 5:35 PM
  • R2 now released, but no sign of the patch/driver update

Can confirm disabling the onboard NIC works, but I need 2 NICs :(

Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:03 PM