none
Hyper Virtual exponential increase without any reason

General discussion

• Dear Reader

I have a server with 2 Partition C: and D: The First Partition C: already contain all the Virtual Machine that i'm using

which in my case 3 Virtual (Exch2010 CASHUB, Exch2010 MBX, Lync2010). I found out that my Exch2010 CASHUB is already 

Increase exponentially in past 3 months until it reach the max. I look to other server that already contain CASHUB have a size of max 40 GB, but this server have a size of 166 GB.  I defragmment the hard disk  and compact the virtual file, but still the same problem.

ANY one can give me a  hint plz.

Sunday, July 14, 2013 4:27 PM

All replies

• 1st move all VM to D:\ Drive. it is not good practice to keep virtual machines on parent drive.

Is this your production environment???. have you configured dynamic VHD's for all servers???. If yes then configuring dynamic VHD's on production environment its not good practice. convert them to FIX and then defragmment them.

Akshay Pate Server Administrator

Monday, July 15, 2013 2:08 PM
  • Are you using snapshots?  This will fill up your space quickly.

Also, you should not be scanning your VHD or VHDX files with the host antivirus or using the host backup software to back them up.  This can also cause those files to balloon in size.

Also, please use the Hyper-V forum for all Hyper-V related issues.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winserverhyperv

This forum is for the specific product Virtual Server 2005.

• Edited by Steve JainMVP Monday, July 15, 2013 4:31 PM added url
    Monday, July 15, 2013 4:30 PM