none
someone help me i have created GPO & linked to a OU my question is security filtering authenticated users.

Question

• someone help me i have created GPO & linked to a OU my question is security filtering authenticated users. so it apply only paticular OU (authenticated users?) it won't apply for others? if i leave it security filtering blank what will happen? GPresult -h test.hmtl which column  have to see  GPO either applied or not (workstations machine)

sccmghost@hotmail.com

Saturday, October 05, 2013 5:45 AM

Answers

• Thanks for reply if i want install software in that what method is either user or workstations second scenario is applying group policy either computer or user configuration where to apply either user or computer something tricky

"Authenticated Users" means all users *and* all computers.
    Computers are deemed to be a member of "Authenticated Users".
    When you link a GPO to an OU, and the security filtering includes "Authenticated Users", all user objects *and* all computer objects in that OU will be subjected to that GPO.
    The settings within that GPO, may only be relevant to user objects, or, only computer objects, or both types of objects - it depends on the settings you configure within that GPO.

These are all different ways of filtering/applying/scoping, so, it depends upon what object types you have within that particular OU, and the purpose you intend.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by sccm ghost Saturday, October 05, 2013 8:23 AM
    • Edited by DonPick Saturday, October 05, 2013 10:20 AM edit typo
    Saturday, October 05, 2013 8:14 AM

All replies

• You can't leave Security Filtering blank authenticated user mean that it will apply to any user that inside that OU for users and any user that log in to a workstation inside that OU, depend on what you trying to apply it to, user or workstation or both, security filtering is for when you want to only apply to a certain group or workstation then you remove the authenticated user and add the group or workstation name.

Chaen Fong

Saturday, October 05, 2013 5:54 AM
  • Thanks for reply if i want install software in that what method is either user or workstations second scenario is applying group policy either computer or user configuration where to apply either user or computer something tricky

sccmghost@hotmail.com

Saturday, October 05, 2013 7:31 AM

"Authenticated Users" means all users *and* all computers.
    Computers are deemed to be a member of "Authenticated Users".
    When you link a GPO to an OU, and the security filtering includes "Authenticated Users", all user objects *and* all computer objects in that OU will be subjected to that GPO.
    The settings within that GPO, may only be relevant to user objects, or, only computer objects, or both types of objects - it depends on the settings you configure within that GPO.

These are all different ways of filtering/applying/scoping, so, it depends upon what object types you have within that particular OU, and the purpose you intend.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by sccm ghost Saturday, October 05, 2013 8:23 AM
    • Edited by DonPick Saturday, October 05, 2013 10:20 AM edit typo
    Saturday, October 05, 2013 8:14 AM
  • above screen shot installation of software (sccm cliemt) via GPO so every time machine logs installation will happen? if we add multiple machines & like it in same OU \security group it cause any problem?

sccmghost@hotmail.com

Thursday, October 10, 2013 8:43 AM
  • any update

sccmghost@hotmail.com

Friday, October 11, 2013 10:32 AM