none
Apply Network Settings Domain OU ignored when computer account exists in AD

Question

• Greetings,

We are using MDT 2013 with WinPE 5. During the WinPE phase we run the step "Apply Network settings" and specify a Domain OU. If the computer account does not exist it works fine. If the computer account exists and is not in the same OU as the Domain OU setting, the Domain OU setting is ignored and the computer account remains where it is. What is the simplest way of ensuring an existing account is in the correct OU please? (I have read about Maik Kosters web service but it is not an option for us as its way to complex)

Thanks

David Z

Monday, October 28, 2013 10:25 PM

Answers

• Unless there's a simpler solution, I have managed a workaround. When WinPE finishes and reboots into Windows 7, I simply copy down dsquery and dsmove and run it from within Windows 7 and it works a treat.
    • Marked as answer by David Zemdegs Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:29 PM
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:44 AM

All replies

• You can use powershell to move a computer account:

Get-ADComputer computername | Move-ADObject -TargetPath "ou=rightou,dc=yourdomain,dc=com"

Monday, October 28, 2013 11:54 PM
  • So the AD cmdlets are automatically loaded into WinPE? (There doesnt seem to be a separate component for the boot image).

I just opened the powershell console during the WinPE phase and it doesnt appear to know anything about the AD cmdlets.

Thanks

David Z

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 12:35 AM
  • In WinPE 3, they just inserted the dsquery and dsmove commands into the boot image and ran them and it worked. I just tried that with WinPE 5 and it fails.
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 1:07 AM
  • Unless there's a simpler solution, I have managed a workaround. When WinPE finishes and reboots into Windows 7, I simply copy down dsquery and dsmove and run it from within Windows 7 and it works a treat.
    • Marked as answer by David Zemdegs Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:29 PM
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:44 AM