none
MDT 2010 Windows 7 migration - cannot capture or restore user data

Question

• I am trying to use MDT 2010 Update 1 to migrate windows xp machines to windows 7. I set up the deployment share and imported my OS and applications that are needed. Then i created a TS (basically the standard client task sequence ) and left it as it is with no changes.

When i try to run now the litetouch.vbs from within the XP enviroment nothing happens and i have to boot from the cd to make it work. When i boot from the cd though when it comes to the stage that asks to specify whether to restore user data i have two options, one to not restore any data as this is not a replacement pc or the specify a network location.There is not refresh deployment option to it.

My question is do i do something wrong and i cannot capture any user data. I juct want to capture the user data,store them on the PC and then migrate to windows 7 and restore the user data.
    What is the proper procedure to do that? 
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 10:05 AM

All replies

• Check your customsettings.ini, for the following steps:

SkipDeploymentType=NO
    DeploymentType=NEWCOMPUTER
    SkipUserData=YES

If these steps differ it might be these settings. You need to specify that the deploymenttype is a refresh or restage scenario.

If SkipUserData=YES the wizard will not ask you for the specific folder which need to be backed up.

Keep us posted, and if helpful please rate! Kind regards

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:13 PM
  • i do have no forSkipDeploymentType but on the deployment type i have refresh as that is the scenario i am doing. Skip user data is not set in my customsetting.ini. 
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:56 AM
  • When i try to run now the litetouch.vbs from within the XP enviroment nothing happens and i have to boot from the cd to make it work.
    Describe the steps (exactly) that you take to start the lite touch process from within XP. Explain what happens.

Blog: http://scriptimus.wordpress.com

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:16 AM
  • i type the ip address of the pc that has the MDT on it, go to deployment share\scripts and try to execute the litetouch.vbs. This does not work. Then i tried also to run the litetouch.vbs from within the USB drive that i have copied the content folder created with everything on it (OS,Applications, Drivers etc) and again nothing seems to work also. By nothing seems to work i mean that i don't see any new process running or a new window comes up or anything.

I can boot from the usb media and run the procedure but the problem is that i cant capture any user data and restore them as this as i understand must be run first from within the XP OS.

• Edited by Michalis K Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:41 AM
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:40 AM