none
Virtual machine import fails

Question

• Hi everybody,

I have problems re-importing VMs on my Hyper-V server. 

I had to rebuild the raid container on the volume where the original hyper-v VMs were saved. So I exported them to an external harddisk, rebuild the raid container (all data on it was deleted) and tried to re-import them again. Before reimporting them, I removed the list of VMs from the Hypervisor Manager because all machines were marked as offline. 

The import of the machines will fail with the following error message: 

"The operation failed because a machine with the same identifier already exists. Select a new identifier and try the operation again"

What can I do here?

Thanks
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 6:14 AM

All replies

• Every VM has it's Configuration XML file (or a link to it) in "%systemdrive%\programdata\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\Virtual Machines". If there are still there you can delete the files there (verry carefull) or you let the Import wizard create a new GUID while import  the VM. I personal would do the Import.

Grüße/Regards Carsten Rachfahl | MVP Virtual Machine | MCT | MCITP | MCSA | CCA | Husband and Papa | www.hyper-v-server.de | First German Gold Virtualisation Kompetenz Partner ---- If my answer is helpful please mark it as answer or press the green arrow.

Sunday, August 25, 2013 8:33 AM
  • Every VM has it's Configuration XML file (or a link to it) in "%systemdrive%\programdata\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\Virtual Machines". If there are still there you can delete the files there (verry carefull) or you let the Import wizard create a new GUID while import  the VM. I personal would do the Import.

Grüße/Regards Carsten Rachfahl | MVP Virtual Machine | MCT | MCITP | MCSA | CCA | Husband and Papa | www.hyper-v-server.de | First German Gold Virtualisation Kompetenz Partner ---- If my answer is helpful please mark it as answer or press the green arrow.

Thanks Carsten. As the VM is my Domain Controller I don't want to have a new GUID. I'll give this a try and post the results. 
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 10:18 AM
  • I've deleted the files in %systemdrive%\programdata\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\Virtual Machines but I'm receiving still the same error message. What else can I do?
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 6:18 PM
  • Have you rebooted the host?

And by the way the GUID I was talking about is not the Active Directory SID! It is an Unique Identifier to every VM and should have no impacked on your Domain Controller.

Sunday, August 25, 2013 8:16 PM
  • Hi,

Baseup on my experience you can try the following workaround method.

1. Back your exported vm.

2. Copy the vm to another Hyper-v server and importe.

3.Export the vm again.

4.Copy the vm to your origional Hyper-v server and importe again.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 9:45 AM
  • Try creating a NEW Vm then attache the VHD, then reset the settings?
    Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:30 AM
  • That means:

1.Copy the vm files to another Hyper-v server and create a new VM then attach the disk,.

2.On the new Hyper-v server export again, then copy the new exported vm files to your original Hyper-v server and import again.

Thanks.

Alex Lv

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 12:27 PM
  • Why do this more times than needed. just create a NEW Vm then manually set the settings job done ?? :)

no need to export again?

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 4:20 PM
  • Hi,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Alex Lv

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:06 AM
  • Hi ,

It is not recommend to first format the vm data volume. The recommend method is first delete the vm via Hyper-v manager and then delete the data volume.

Which option you used when import the vm?

Move or restore the Virtual machine or Copy the Virtual Machine. If you choose the second option, does it work?

Thanks.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 5:36 AM