none
PV and SSAS MD: PV errors as soon as first column is selected

Question

• SharePoint 2013

SQL Server Analysis Server 2012 SP1 CU9 Multidimensional

I created a data source on my SharePoint 2013 site that connects to a MD Cube on SQL SERVER 2013 SP1 CU9

When I choose to create a new Power View report from the data source, I get a new empty PV screen with my Cube objects in the usual place. When I click on any column, I get a dialog box with this error:

System.Exception: Error: Invalid token in RPDS stream. StringTable token: 0x12.
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.RPDSProcessing.RPLReader.ReadStringTable(Int64 offset, RPLContext context)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.RPDSProcessing.RPLReader.ReadVersionedReport(RPLReport report, RPLContext context)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.RPDSProcessing.RPLReader.ReadReport(RPLReport report, RPLContext context)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.RPDSProcessing.RPLReport..ctor(BinaryReader reader)
       at Microsoft.Reporting.AdHoc.DataManagement.Internal.DataManager.PopulateRimWithRplData(Stream stream, HashSet`1 itemsToNotParse)
       at Microsoft.Reporting.AdHoc.DataManagement.Internal.DataManager.HandleRenderEditResponse(IAsyncEnumeratorCallback aec)

There's nothing in the SharePoint log in the log directory that has any hint that an error has occurred. I can't find anything about this elsewhere.  So I'm asking here ,, and my question will be not answered just like all the other ones I've had for this product that has given me nothing but every conceivable problem at every damn step of the way.

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 6:28 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Did you installed  the SQL Server and SharePoint on separate server ? If so, after install SP1 CU9 update for the SQL Server instance, you should also install the same update on the SharePoint Server to upgrade the  SQL Server Shared Features.

The following blog is the similar error, please refer to:
    http://sharedpointing.blogspot.com/2014/04/powerview-issues-following-sql-2012-sp1.html

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Vince P Wednesday, May 07, 2014 1:52 AM
    Wednesday, May 07, 2014 1:50 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Did you installed  the SQL Server and SharePoint on separate server ? If so, after install SP1 CU9 update for the SQL Server instance, you should also install the same update on the SharePoint Server to upgrade the  SQL Server Shared Features.

The following blog is the similar error, please refer to:
    http://sharedpointing.blogspot.com/2014/04/powerview-issues-following-sql-2012-sp1.html

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Vince P Wednesday, May 07, 2014 1:52 AM
    Wednesday, May 07, 2014 1:50 AM
  • Hi. That was exactly my problem I didn't install the full CU9 on the sharepoint server, only the sql server. (I didn't know). But now its working. Thanks for your help.
    Wednesday, May 07, 2014 1:52 AM