none
Virtual Machine Backup puts CSV into Redirected Access mode

Question

• I backup all nine of my production servers that are running in Hyper-V R2. All of my drives are Cluster Shared Volumes. After the backup I can see that all nine backed up onto tape, but when I check my Failover Cluster it shows one CSV in redirected mode. If it's able to backup the VM why is it leaving it in redirected mode? (it's the same one every time I run the backup)

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:17 PM

All replies

• If you run VSSADMIN LIST PROVIDERS - what is returned ?   Are there any Application event log messages from VSS or System event messages from VOLSNAP showing errors ?   After the backups complete, when you run vssadmin list shadows, are there any snapshots listed ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, February 27, 2012 11:27 PM
  • Mike,

Looks like my issue was related to two protection groups trying to run at the same time. My Virtual Machine backup was running into my File Share backup so both protection groups were trying to backup the same server. I pushed out my file share protection group so it runs after the VM backup. It's no longer leaving my CSV in redirected mode.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 2:13 AM
  • Hi,

If you have a VSS hardware provider installed, then we can do parallel backups and that should not cause any problems.  If you only have the system vss software provider, then you should implement csv serialization to avoid parallel backups running.

see the following article:

Considerations for Backing Up Virtual Machines on CSV with the System VSS Provider
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634192.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 3:05 PM