none
DNS zone missing missing domain sub folders

Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to setup a child domain in a remote site. I've just follwed the procedure below.

I've promoted the child domain DC and I'm waiting for the child dns zone records and folders to appear but there's no sign of them. (_msdcs,_sites,_tcp,_udp)

I ran an ipconfig /registerdns but that doesn't seem to have done the trick either. Is there anything else I've missed? Once I'd finished the child zone was just a primary zone, should it change to an ad integrated zone or do I need to change that myself?

PARENT
     - create first parent dc and dns

- verify dns resolution 

- create site
     - create subnet for both child and parent
     - makes sure an IP transport site link is there, set replication schedule
     - select bridgehread server

CHILD

- Install DNS
     - Create primary child zone
     - Allow Dynamic updates
     - Child DC NIC points to parent dc for dns and then to itself
     - Verify DNS Resolution to parent DC
     - Run DCPROMO
     - Reboot and wait!!!!

Following folders should appear in child dns zone :

_msdcs
    _sites
    _tcp
    _udp

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:44 PM

Answers

• ok, I'm confused as to why I need a delegation.

Isn't it easier to set the parent zone to replicate forest wide then install dns and run dcpromo on the child dc?

The parent zone will then replicate to the child dc right> There should be no need for me to precreate any zones on the child dc surely?

I did manage to get it working this was but then realised I hadn't setup sites and services.....since trying again with sites and services it seems to have stopped working. This is really confusing me.

There are lot of ways to do it. You can either create AD-Integrated DNS zone for child domain in the parent & set the replication scope to the forest wide which will populate the DNS zone to the child domain DC on installing DNS role. You can also delegate child domain from parent so name resolution of the child domain is handled by child domain DNS only. Refer my earlier posted article.

Awinish Vishwakarma - MVP

My Blog: awinish.wordpress.com

Disclaimer This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties/guarantees and confers no rights.

Monday, August 26, 2013 1:46 AM

All replies

• Hello,

To start off, Have you tried the below article.

Domain sub-folders missing from forward lookup zone

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310568/en-us

DNS Troubleshooter Related to Active Directory Issues

http://blogs.technet.com/b/shilpesh_desai/archive/2009/01/20/dns-troubleshooter.aspx

Devaraj G | Technical solution architect

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:53 PM
  • The _msdcs folder in the child domain will have only DC & PDC folder along with the SRV records. If these folder don't appear, just restart DNS, Netlogon service followed by ipconfig /registerdns & dcdiag /fix.

Configuring DNS in child domain

http://awinish.wordpress.com/2011/04/09/configuring-dns-in-child-domain/

Disclaimer This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties/guarantees and confers no rights.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 6:04 AM
  • Hi,

I've tried ipconfig /registerdns, no change.

I also ran dcdiag /fix, all tests passed. The child zone still isn't populated.

The parent zone is also set to replicate to all DNS servers in the forest, so I should see the parent zone appear in the dns console on the child server eventually shouldn't I?

I would setup as you suggested with a delegation and secondary zone but I'm trying to build a test environent that mirrors our reeal setup which is also a bit of a mess with parent/child zones each with ad integrated zones that don't seem to be replicating.

Back to my test setup, I'm seeing event id 4015 in the log....

I can't see any guid records in the root zone on parent or child, where exactly should they be? same goes for SRV records.....

Thanks very much for your help.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 11:52 AM
  • Once I've run dcpromo on the child dc, do I have to change the child dns zone to ad integrated or does it change by itself during replication?

Thursday, August 22, 2013 2:37 PM
  • Once I've run dcpromo on the child dc, do I have to change the child dns zone to ad integrated or does it change by itself during replication?

It depends, if you have created all (parent & child) the DNS zone in the parent domain, performed the necessary delegation, made the zone as AD-Integrated & set the replication scope forest wide, all the zone will appear automatically in the child domain DC, considering DNS role is installed on the child domain DC's.

You can have a look at the article posted below.

http://awinish.wordpress.com/2011/04/09/configuring-dns-in-child-domain/

Friday, August 23, 2013 1:11 AM

Isn't it easier to set the parent zone to replicate forest wide then install dns and run dcpromo on the child dc?

The parent zone will then replicate to the child dc right> There should be no need for me to precreate any zones on the child dc surely?

I did manage to get it working this was but then realised I hadn't setup sites and services.....since trying again with sites and services it seems to have stopped working. This is really confusing me.

Friday, August 23, 2013 1:35 PM

There are lot of ways to do it. You can either create AD-Integrated DNS zone for child domain in the parent & set the replication scope to the forest wide which will populate the DNS zone to the child domain DC on installing DNS role. You can also delegate child domain from parent so name resolution of the child domain is handled by child domain DNS only. Refer my earlier posted article.

Monday, August 26, 2013 1:46 AM