none
Windows Licensing questions

Question

• I ran  Slmgr.vbs  -dli  and got this

Name: Windows Server(R),Server Standard edition

Description: Windows OS- Windows Server (R),Retail Channel

License Status:Notification

Notification Reason:Grace Time expired

What does it mean? How come my server does not shut down every hour since activation time has expired?

Restoring to a different server with the same model, what happens to the windows license?

Does it remain intact?

Note: This is a Windows Server 2008 R2 OS
    • Edited by z0802361 Wednesday, September 04, 2013 2:18 AM
    Wednesday, September 04, 2013 2:18 AM

Answers

• A OEM machine ? If the activation see the OEM's tag in the BIOS/Flash but you used a retail media (OEM key in the BIOS mismatch the KEY you gave in big), I think the activation mecanism is less prompt to close the windows. Happened to me in lab with 2012.

MCP | MCTS - Exchange 2007, Configuring | Member of TechNet Wiki Community Council | French Moderator on TechNet Wiki (Translation Widget)

Wednesday, September 04, 2013 3:27 AM
  • Hi z0802361,

Firstly, if your Windows Server 2008 R2 is preinstalled, you may need to contact your OEM for help.

However, if you purchased and installed Windows Server 2008 R2 manually, you can try to run slui 4 from a command prompt to reactivate your Windows by phone.

If issue persists, in order to properly analyze and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool

(download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )

Once saved, run the tool.

Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
    Jeremy Wu

Wednesday, September 04, 2013 6:51 AM

All replies

• A OEM machine ? If the activation see the OEM's tag in the BIOS/Flash but you used a retail media (OEM key in the BIOS mismatch the KEY you gave in big), I think the activation mecanism is less prompt to close the windows. Happened to me in lab with 2012.

MCP | MCTS - Exchange 2007, Configuring | Member of TechNet Wiki Community Council | French Moderator on TechNet Wiki (Translation Widget)

Wednesday, September 04, 2013 3:27 AM
  • Hi z0802361,

Firstly, if your Windows Server 2008 R2 is preinstalled, you may need to contact your OEM for help.

However, if you purchased and installed Windows Server 2008 R2 manually, you can try to run slui 4 from a command prompt to reactivate your Windows by phone.

If issue persists, in order to properly analyze and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool

(download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )

Once saved, run the tool.

Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
    Jeremy Wu

Wednesday, September 04, 2013 6:51 AM