none
How to correct "Status information is currently unavailable for this deployment" after running deployment summarization

Question

• I am working with a client that has set a four-hour maintenance window between 12:00a and 4:00a.  I have deployed a number of update groups only to see them in an "in progress" state in the in-console reporting.  When I attempt to drill down on any of these deployments, I get the "Status information is currently unavailable for this deployment" message.  First, if there is truly no information, why doesn't the reporting show all targets in an unknown state?  Second, this client has a culture where users turn off there machines at 5pm and turn them back on at 8:00am.  We're working through the culture problems, but I want to know if the deployment does not allow restarts outside the maintenance window, and the deployment target machines are never on during the maintenance window, and the deployed updates require a restart to complete, will the deployment remain in "in progress" state forever?

Thanks

Sunday, December 08, 2013 3:26 PM

Answers

• I hope this post will save other people some time.  This turned out to be my own fault by not clicking the correct link.  When viewing the deployment information in the Monitoring workspace, I clicked the Content Status link instead of the View Status link.  I was working on a smaller display and the View Status link wasn't shown, so I kept on clicking the Content Status link.  The errors in the event log, and the link to a page that shows no information is "by design" according to Microsoft support.  If I scrolled down and clicked View Status, I saw the information I was expecting to see.  My wife says I resemble Homer Simpson more and more every day.

D'Oh!

Friday, December 13, 2013 12:45 PM

All replies

• Have you changed the deployment to show all messages? By default it's only error and success messages that are reported back to the site server. http://blog.coretech.dk/kea/where-are-my-software-update-state-messages/

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund | Mastering ConfigMgr 2012 The Fundamentals

Sunday, December 08, 2013 5:57 PM
  • Hi Kent,

Yes, I changed the deployment to show all messages.  Still seeing the "Status information is currently unavailable for this deployment" message. 

Thanks for your help

Monday, December 09, 2013 9:49 PM
  • New developments.  I have discovered that whenever I ask for the Content Status for any deployment, this error appears in the Application log on the Site Server six times (identical detail):

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Critical
    Date:          12/11/2013 4:35:22 AM
    Event ID:      1
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      SCCM.mydomain.com
    Description:
    Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlQueryException\r\nNot found , property = ObjectType\r\n   at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlResultObjectBase.get_Item(String name)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.ContentMonitoring.DisplayUtilities.ShowObjectIcon(Object sender, ScopeNode scopeNode, IResultObject selectedResultObject, AssemblyDescription& resourceAssembly)\r\nNot found
    \r\nSystem.Management.ManagementException\r\nNot found \r\n   at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
       at System.Management.PropertyData.RefreshPropertyInfo()
       at System.Management.PropertyDataCollection.get_Item(String propertyName)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlResultObjectBase.get_Item(String name)\r\nManagementException details:
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Critical" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-12-11T09:35:22.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>18439</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>SCCM.mydomain.com</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlQueryException\r\nNot found , property = ObjectType\r\n   at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlResultObjectBase.get_Item(String name)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.ContentMonitoring.DisplayUtilities.ShowObjectIcon(Object sender, ScopeNode scopeNode, IResultObject selectedResultObject, AssemblyDescription&amp; resourceAssembly)\r\nNot found
    \r\nSystem.Management.ManagementException\r\nNot found \r\n   at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
       at System.Management.PropertyData.RefreshPropertyInfo()
       at System.Management.PropertyDataCollection.get_Item(String propertyName)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlResultObjectBase.get_Item(String name)\r\nManagementException details:</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

The only thing that has changed on this system recently was the management point was uninstalled and reinstalled.  I've been keeping track of the different deployment states and the content status is updating, e.g., for deployment A, compliance status has moved from 107 at 4:00am to 109 at 7:00am.  When I click the Content Status link, I get the same message now for all deployments.

HELP!

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:10 PM
  • I hope this post will save other people some time.  This turned out to be my own fault by not clicking the correct link.  When viewing the deployment information in the Monitoring workspace, I clicked the Content Status link instead of the View Status link.  I was working on a smaller display and the View Status link wasn't shown, so I kept on clicking the Content Status link.  The errors in the event log, and the link to a page that shows no information is "by design" according to Microsoft support.  If I scrolled down and clicked View Status, I saw the information I was expecting to see.  My wife says I resemble Homer Simpson more and more every day.

D'Oh!

Friday, December 13, 2013 12:45 PM