none
Calculated measure for last refresh timestamp

Question

• Hi,

Is it possible to create a calculated measure that can then be shown in Power View that shows the last time data was refreshed in the PowerPivot model? The problem is when users look at the reports, they don't know as of when the data behind the report is.

Thanks,

Kosta

Thursday, September 19, 2013 5:48 PM

Answers

• I am not aware of any function or functionality that would return the time the data was refreshed the last time

a common workaround would be to execute a query against a data source and let the data source return the current date/time
    e.g. if you have SQL Server you could run a Query like "SELECT GETDATE() AS LastProcessed"

then create a calculated measure as LastRefresh:=VALUES('MyTable'[LastProcessed])

hth,
    gerhard

- www.pmOne.com -

• Marked as answer by kostaz Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:23 PM
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:19 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I am not aware of any function or functionality that would return the time the data was refreshed the last time

a common workaround would be to execute a query against a data source and let the data source return the current date/time
    e.g. if you have SQL Server you could run a Query like "SELECT GETDATE() AS LastProcessed"

then create a calculated measure as LastRefresh:=VALUES('MyTable'[LastProcessed])

hth,
    gerhard

- www.pmOne.com -

• Marked as answer by kostaz Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:23 PM
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:19 PM
    Answerer
  • That would work I guess, I'll make it as answer. However, the problem could be that just some of the tables were refreshed, but not all. Here's a link on using DMVs to find this information for future reference: http://cwebbbi.wordpress.com/2011/02/23/querying-powerpivot-dmvs-from-excel/
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:23 PM