none
Terminal Server Licensing with Windows Server 2008

Question

• I purchased the following:

Servers Windows Remote Desktop Services - User CAL 2008 Release 2 5 0 0
      Servers Windows Server - User CAL 2008 5 0 0

Windows Remote Desktop Services - User CAL 2008 Release 2 (5 users)

Windows Server User CAL - 2008 (5 users)

Called the support line for Terminal Server Licensing: 1-888-571-2048.  They were not able to help me?????  They tell me to go to the "Start" button then go to "Administrative Tools" then go to "Terminal Server Licensing" but I do not have that option.  In Administrative Tools I have a folder called " Terminal Services" and in there I have the option to go to "Terminal Server Configuration of Terminal Server Manager".  I need to add this licenses to my server.

Please Help.

Friday, January 14, 2011 8:33 PM

All replies

• Is this on a second true Windows Server 2008 server in addition to the SBS server?

--
    Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
    Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
    http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/0672329573/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217269967&sr=8-1
    Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    A Microsoft Registered Partner
    ------------------------------------
    MVPs do not work for Microsoft
    Please do not submit questions directly to me.

I purchased the following:

Windows Remote Desktop Services - User CAL 2008 Release 2 (5 users)

Windows Server User CAL - 2008 (5 users)

Called the support line for Terminal Server Licensing: 1-888-571-2048.  They were not able to help me?????  They tell me to go to the "Start" button then go to "Administrative Tools" then go to "Terminal Server Licensing" but I do not have that option.  In Administrative Tools I have a folder called " Terminal Services" and in there I have the option to go to "Terminal Server Configuration of Terminal Server Manager".  I need to add this licenses to my server.

Please Help.

Cris Hanna, Microsoft SBS MVP, Owner-CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    Friday, January 14, 2011 8:50 PM
  • No. I only have one server: Windows Small Server 2008 / Standared FE with Service Pack 2
    Friday, January 14, 2011 9:04 PM
  • It's still not clear if by "Windows Small Server" you mean Windows Small Business Server. If it is the latter and you don't have a separate Terminal Server then SBS itself can't be a Terminal Server in other than administrative mode for 2 simultaneous logins only. Therefore the CALs you have won't work.

Steve

<tg282828> wrote in message news:9c9c666a-719a-47ca-b8f8-3d97e949649e@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

No. I only have one server: Windows Small Server 2008 / Standared FE with Service Pack 2

Friday, January 14, 2011 9:21 PM
  • You can't run Windows Small Business Server Terminal Services in Application Mode, it won't let you
    You get two built in connections to TS for remote administration ONLY

--
    Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
    Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
    http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/0672329573/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217269967&sr=8-1
    Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    A Microsoft Registered Partner
    ------------------------------------
    MVPs do not work for Microsoft
    Please do not submit questions directly to me.
    No. I only have one server: Windows Small Server 2008 / Standared FE with Service Pack 2

Cris Hanna, Microsoft SBS MVP, Owner-CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    Friday, January 14, 2011 9:26 PM
  • So what do I have to do to be able to use the licenses I purchased?  I wanted to add 5 more remote desktop users?
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 8:02 PM
  • Either acquire more desktops... you can have more than one user use a desktop, just not at the same time, or acquire a Remote Desktop Server.  Note that you can run both SBS and Windows 2008 as VM's on the same hardware platform, so it does not necessarily require another server box.

If you have SBS, you will also need Small Business User CALs for the users to be able to authenticate to the AD on the SBS network.  But the SBS will cover the Server 2008 CALs so long as it is the same version of Windows (or older) than the SBS.

So, you need either:

More SBS CALs and more desktops

or

More SBS CALs, a copy of Server 200x and RDS CALs for each user that uses the RDS on the second server license.

You may, or may not, need more hardware to do this.

Larry Struckmeyer

Please post the resolution to your issue so that everyone can benefit

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 9:01 PM
  • I have 3 businesses. In one business / building (1) I have the server / with a CISCO Router and 7 Workstations networked directly to the server.  I have a CISCO router In a separate business / building (2) that has a VPN connection to the server / router in building (1).  Two of my users in building (2) are connecting to my server in building (1) via 2 Remote Desktop Connections that came with my server.  Although I know that they are suppose to be used for administrator purposes right now they are being used to connect to the server so they can access software called CPR+ ( www.CPRPlus.com )  I purchased 5 additional licenses (as described in the initial message) with the hope that I could use them by my users for I am running a multi-site environment with more users needing to access the software in the server.  How do I do this??

Please help.

Thanks.  Tony Garcia

PS. Is there anyway that you could do a remote session into my server?

Saturday, January 15, 2011 10:11 PM
  • You need to get a Terminal Server. That is the best, easiest to manage solution.

1. Buy hardware - a basic server with at least 4GB RAM, Quad Core processor would be good, but not absolutely necessary, mirroed hard drive. Does not need to be large.

2. Buy Windows 2008 R2 standard. Join it to the domain as a member server.

3. Install the TS Licensing and apply the RDS CALs. Set up your application from here to access the LOB app.

Regards, Boon Tee - PowerBiz Solutions, Australia - www.powerbiz.net.au
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 10:17 PM
  • You do it in the manner I described, where you acquire and license a RDS and then using either RWW or Remote Apps, you can open the file from the remote office.

Or, you open VPN's to the server from the remote office.  But I don't suggest opening files over VPN unless you are completely sure that the connection is solid, as most database apps will have their data scrambled if you pull the data over the VPN and then lose the connection while the files are open.

In either case, you will need SBS cals as to access files on the SBS you must authenticate to its AD.

We can connect to your server given the proper credentials, but I don't think much will be gained by doing so.  You really need a consultation with a knowledgable "trusted partner" to help you with this.  If you want to email any of the folks on this list who have tried to assist with your email address and location, we may be able to recommend someone.

Cris and I along with most of the frequent advice givers on this forum can easily be found with an internet search.

Larry Struckmeyer

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 10:21 PM
  • OK thank you for your help.  I am located in McAllen Texas.

If you have anyone in this area please let me know.

Thanks again for your help.

Tony Garcia

Saturday, January 15, 2011 11:19 PM
  • I have put out the word.... Seeing how far south you are, there may not be a reference for that anytime soon.  I have another group I can ask, but there may not be much action before Monday, if then.

larry@mis-wizards.com, should you wish to correspond with me directly. 

Larry Struckmeyer

Sunday, January 16, 2011 12:32 AM
  • Hello,

If possible could you tell me if this system would take care of my needs.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5328464&CatId=2683

Thanks.

Tony Garcia

Monday, January 17, 2011 2:36 PM
  • That would work well as a Terminal Server.

Monday, January 17, 2011 9:53 PM
  • Would Genuine Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation Edition work just as well as the standard edition if I purchased the following license:

Windows Remote Desktop Users - User CAL    2008 Release 2

Tony Garcia

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 12:18 AM
  • Yes, you can use Foundation Server 2008 R2 as the Remote Desktop server, as long as you don't have more than 15 users using that server.
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 12:43 AM
  • Well I am going to Comp USA to assemble a server.  They only have Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition.

How many users will that software allow?

Tony Garcia

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 1:54 AM
  • For Server standard, you can use as many user as your licensing permits (up to the maximum of 75 due to SBS licensing). Your standard CALs will cover access to the Remote Detstop server, and the RDS CALs will cover remote access on the server.

If you have SBS2008 premium, and deploy a SQL server, then you will need SBS Premium CALs for each user/device accessing the SQL server component.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:29 AM