none
Cannot Access SBS 2011 RWW from the Internet i.e. outside the firewall

Question

• Hi

I have completed the installation of SBS2011 STD and configured all the necessary ports (80, 443, 987, 1723) on the adsl router/firewall. But I cannot access RWW from the Internet from outside our organisation, but I can from the inside (connected on the LAN/WLAN).

I've checked all the necessary settings and router configuration I can think off.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:21 AM

All replies

• Some indication of where it breaks would be helpful.  For example:  "From a remote location, outside the network, I use the URL https://remote.mydomain.com and the browser returns the page that says "cannot find......."  ."
    Larry Struckmeyer

Please post the resolution to your issue so that everyone can benefit

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:49 AM
  • Hi Larry,

That's exactly what happens as per your example above. Its like I cannot even get to the server.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:55 AM
  • Is mail coming into the server?

--
    Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
    Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
    http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/0672329573/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217269967&sr=8-1
    Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    A Microsoft Registered Partner
    ------------------------------------
    MVPs do not work for Microsoft
    Please do not submit questions directly to me.

Cris Hanna, Microsoft SBS MVP, Owner-CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:21 PM
  • Hi Mr.XDM,

Thanks for posting here.

So is there any problem to resolve your current SBS internet IP address by performing “nslookup <RWW internet domain name>” form external when client was pointing to use other public internet DNS server ?  what if directly access via internet IP address ?

You might first try repairing it by performing “Fix My Network Wizard” and see how is going:

Fixing Network Problems

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc513958(WS.10).aspx

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, July 22, 2011 8:11 AM
  • Yes mail is coming into the server.
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 9:06 PM
  • Do you know what is listed for the URL for your MX record?

Is it mail.domainname.com??

Cris Hanna, Microsoft SBS MVP, Owner-CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 9:21 PM