none
Steady state and windows 7

Question

• I too need steady state for windows 7 before we can upgrade to windows 7, i manage almost 200 computers and to install 7 without steady state would be a disaster.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 1:44 AM

Answers

• Hi Syb111, thank you for the feedback. I'd like to inform you that currently, there is no plan to develop compatible version of Windows SteadyState for Windows 7.

Thank you.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 7:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Syb111, thank you for the feedback. I'd like to inform you that currently, there is no plan to develop compatible version of Windows SteadyState for Windows 7.

Thank you.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 7:48 AM
  • That is so sad!  Can't you guys give it a second thought.  This has really worked well for us. When well-planned, SteadyState is a great tool to use.  I would hate to have seek an alternate solution.  Please give it a bit more consideration or provide an alternate suggestion if there is no plan to develop a compatible version.

Thanks,

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 9:47 PM
  • Seems microsoft has made another blunder with windows 7, we have decided to stay with XP and notify users that until microsoft updates WSS to run with windows 7 that we will stay with xp and advise them to do the same, we have withdrawn all support for 7 and are advising people to downgrade if they are stuck with 7,  Its simply not viable, especially in this economy to spend the extra tens of thousands of dollars on the extra staff that would be needed to support a OS that we have came to the conclusion that even microsoft arnt prepared to support fully.

its a pity because 7 did look promising, but like vista its only a couple of years before its replacement will be available so worth staying with a stable and fully supported OS till then.

syb
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 11:20 PM
  • I have found a way to install Steady State under Windows 7.  After you download the program, just right click on the file, then properties, and under the compatibility tab, check the box to run it compatible with an earlier version of Windows.  I tried this and it installed without incident.  I'm not through yet checking out whether it all works normally, but so far it seems to work fine.
    • Proposed as answer by WillardTechMan Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:01 AM
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:00 AM
  • ....And how is it going so far? Any issues to speak of?

Philip

Jealousy is not proof of love, nor proof of emotional immaturity
    Friday, March 26, 2010 8:54 PM
  •   However, after successfully installing and running the other features included, Disk Protection, which at least for us is the most usable feature in WSS, will still not work, no matter how many registry hacks you play with.

Shame on MS for dumping such an essential OS feature for many IT environments. We have halted the upgrade to WIN 7 of around 12000+ PC  and will stay with XP until MS provides something equivalent to WSS in any upcoming OS.

Monday, March 29, 2010 9:05 AM
  • I don't use their WDP, never have, never liked it. I use Deep Freeze for that. If their restrictions work fine on a windows 7 machine that would be fantastic for me. Can anyone verify if they've tried this? WillardTechMan? Which ''earlier windows version" did you choose?
    Jealousy is not proof of love, nor proof of emotional immaturity
    Monday, March 29, 2010 6:25 PM